Mental Health Thread #6 - Post your "news" here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and I both took Friday off (it was our wedding anniversary) and had a wonderful 3-day weekend...went out for a great dinner Friday evening, went to the movies Saturday evening, took the dog for a walk on the beach yesterday morning. The weather was beautiful, he got a lot of work done on the house and I got some yard work done and flowers planted. Went to the roller derby yesterday (my son referees so his wife & little girls and I were "Team Zebra") and watched the season finale of The Walking Dead with my 14-year-old granddaughter (we are super fans).

Came back to work refreshed this morning and my phone has been ringing non-stop, mostly supervisors letting me know that they are losing employees (two at one location, which only has six employees to begin with). :( Can I please go home and just plant flowers for another few days?

My DH had to go out of town so I had the grandkids on my own. In addition to the 5 and 8 yr old, I had to pick up a teenager from a school trip. They were supposed to be back at 9 and it ended up being midnight.
I was a little bit tired and grumpy yesterday.

New Hire MIA

Oh I've had more than one not come back from lunch. Our jobs are complicated and we try to ease them into it, but some just get overwhelmed. And not my first no-show either.

Yep had one accept our offer then disappear for a couple of weeks before starting. She returned to town and checked into the hospital. Ok, then over he next week she claimed to be in and out of the hospital several times. She actually did show up for work for about a day and half the 2nd week before going back in the hospital. (sent us a selfie of her scar in lieu of a doctor's note.) Then she disappeared for a few days before telling us her doctor wouldn't release her to RTW yet. No word for a week and I decided to declare the position vacant. After another week of trying to contact her we finally mailed the check for time she was here to the PO Box she had for an address. She did sign for the check but no further contact. Strange.

Quotes from new hires who didn't last long.

"How much leeway do I have on that arrival time"?

"I can't make it her by 8:00, the traffic is just to bad. I need to start at 10:00." (a receptionist)

"I need three days of vacation " (1st week on the job) Me: "you don't have any yet" The Newbee: "What kinda deal is that? That's discrimination against new hires, I'm going to see my lawyer". Me: "knock your self out"

"Newbee "My supervisor is the meanest SOB in town" Me: "why's that? Newbee: "He expects me to work two straight hours without a break Where I used to work we got smoke breaks every hour". Me: why'd you leave? Newbee" Cause that !@#$%& fired my a$$" ( hmmm wonder why?)

Newbee: "How long is my temp-to-hire period?" Me: "8 weeks" (was a long time ago) Newbee: "Can we shorten that some I don't think I can be nice to my manager that long"

Em note from a two-day employee: "I have received an offer for $2,000/year more from XYZ company, and am anticipating another offer this evening. Please submit your bid to continue my services by 2:00 tomorrow".

Most charming resignation came on a sticky note attached to a door key I found in my mailbox. "you guys are f@#$ crazy, I'm outta hear".

Starting to wonder if maybe her was right.

"watched the season finale of The Walking Dead with my 14-year-old granddaughter (we are super fans)."

That was INTENSE...

"watched the season finale of The Walking Dead with my 14-year-old granddaughter (we are super fans)."

That was INTENSE...

Oh, yeah, it was!! I don't know what I'm going to do with my Sunday evenings for the next six months until Season 5 starts!

I have never watched The Walking Dead.

Cards win their 1st game of the season at Cincinnati yesterday - just had to say that! :)

I have never watched The Walking Dead.

Cards win their 1st game of the season at Cincinnati yesterday - just had to say that! :)

If you don't like zombie movies/t.v. shows you probably wouldn't like The Walking Dead. Actually, I take that back...I know somebody who used to be terrified of zombies and couldn't watch zombie movies because it creeped her out too much, and now she is just as addicted to it as I am! :)

Nope, don't like zombies (anything zombie) at all.

Not much on tv for me these days.

Sometimes there really isn't. You would think with all the channels on TV with cable, a person could find something to watch but sometimes nothing on interests me.

My husband isn't home that much so instead of paying for cable or dish he buys bargain bin movies. His grandson stayed with him one night this week and was NOT happy with the one channel on his tv.

What's really disgusting is that we're paying for the highest level cable and pretty much every premium channel known to man, and don't even SUGGEST to DH that we reduce that at all. Yet with all those channels, there are days when other than the music stations, I can't find as much as a Law and Order rerun that interests me. And there are only two music channels I'll listen to.

We pay $72/month for cable, including some premium movie channels, but it seems like there are really only four or five channels we watch with any regularity. The other evening we couldn't find anything to watch on any one of the 150 or so channels we pay for, so we ended up renting a movie on Amazon.

I wish the cable companies would offer a "cafeteria" type arrangement where you could pick and choose the channels you want and pay for only those channels. Then we would keep the Food Network, SyFy, AMC, NBC, and a couple of others and get rid of the rest.

I'd get behind that! We're paying for some 300+ channels and I doubt if we watch more than a dozen with any regularity.

I know. I hate paying for channels I never watch.

Ditto. I always watch the same few channels and would be perfectly fine with only having those. I would get rid of all the kids channels and sports channels and shopping channels.

Yes! If I just didn't have cartoon network or Disney channel, well sorry kids!

I agree. We have probably six different "kid" channels, and the only time we even turn one of them on is if one of the little granddaughters spends the night and wants to watch t.v. when they get up in the morning. And what with desktop & laptop computers, my iPad, my husband's tablet, our phones, and the girls' Kindle Fire, we don't really need any of that stuff on t.v. because they can always watch it on some other device (and then we ALL don't have to watch Spongebob on our only t.v.!)

I can find so many of the things I like to watch on any one of the services I subscribe to, like Amazon instant video, it's almost begun to render the need for cable t.v. obsolete. We pay over $850/year for cable, so even with Amazon Prime going up to $99/year and Netflix & Hulu Plus each costing me about $7.99/month, I could still save $500 a year if I dropped cable and just watched things from those services. Granted, you can't always find absolutely everything on those, but I imagine I could find more than enough to keep me supplied with t.v. shows & movies to watch and I could also watch them on whatever device and whenever I felt like it. Hmmmm, I may just have talked myself into something! :)

Even before there was cable, people who wanted to watch TV always found something to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back