Mental Health Thread #6 - Post your "news" here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would tell your wife going to an EAP appt. is not just for the counseling but also, as Elle noted, to see if he/she might have some suggestions what to do in a situation like this.

That's a shame you both have to go through this. You would think they could be arrested for disturbing the peace but apparently the police believe differently.

Disturbing the peace isn't a standard violation everywhere, just in Hollywood. Not all communities have noise ordinances or they may have very specific ones which these neighbors have not violated. Even then it is typically not a criminal matter and may just result in a fine. Generic threats aren't typically actionable either, though it might be worth getting a peace order if your safety is truly in danger. I'd be planting some trees or putting up a fence so they can not see your windows or back porch. If they can tell you are looking out the blinds, what else might they be able to see...

People like these even if they got a fine for disturbing the peace, most likely would keep doing it anyway.

Last edited:
I always thought disturbing the peace was standard between certain hours like after 10 or 11 pm. I know we received a few visits from the police when loud parties went late.

Nope. It is up to each jurisdiction to enact such laws and define what the parameters of the laws will be. The city where my brother is in office is currently trying to enact one. There is a lot of resistance believe it or not.

Find out if your neighborhood has a community council or what the governing body over your neighborhood affairs is. Go to a meeting and ask what can be done. Some are more effective than others, but usually people there know the local codes and something about dealing with problem properties and quality of life issues. If you haven't already, start documenting every incident with names, dates, and times, and then show them that documentation. Be aware that there is probably no quick fix, but time, patience, and the right kind of effort can usually accomplish something.

I'm starting to feel like I'm almost caught up for the first time in about 9 months. So now I'm just waiting for the next catastrophe. And I know what it's most likely to be.

The manager of my department just retired on short notice March 1. Of the 4 of us in the office, 3 of us are new since October. The one remaining has been out a lot and is having some issues of her own. "Caught up" is a pipe dream. We are hanging in there, but it has been more than a little crazy.

I've been dealing with mostly new people and I may be losing another long-term employee.

Our service dept is about to have 3 people out on medical leave.

Our-turn over is spiking this year, especially in offices outside the metropolitan area. Our comp is definitely not competitive in these areas. Losing a few 5-7 year employees due to few if any raises in that time frame. The budget "is-what-it-is" until the end of the fiscal year, but revenues are flat so not looking for a lot of relief in next budget. We already have a 4 1/2 day work week (frequently ignored) 3+ weeks of vacation and above average benefits. Scratching my head for ideas to improve retention. Suggested to CFO that we might think about having fewer employees and paying them better. Not a popular idea, but no one goes into HR to win popularity contests.

Yep, I'm losing her. Our turnover has been all personal issue on the part of the indivuals. I will be left with one person who has been here for more than a year, and she has mostly done secretarial work, not bookkeeping or titles.
Not going to be fun.

You all hang in there - not fun situations though. :(

I just love these people who have never worked a day in my office, but think they know what my personnel needs are, and don't mind telling me either.

With a predominately female workforce I expect a number of family issues and trailing-spouse departures each year. They seem to come in waves lately. Senior care has become a significant cause for turn-over too. I have lost two employees in the last 6 months because they were the eldest daughter and expected to take care of mom in her later years. With only a 3% COLA in the last 5 years we're now losing staff to other organizations at a steady rate as well. Kinda like trying to fill a leaky bucket.

My current department is experiencing turn over by retirement. As of either May or June 1 (date still not finalized), the most senior person in the department will be someone hired in October 2013.

Sooooo, new employee is either later for her first day of work, or I don't have a new employee.

I had a new employee once who didn't come back after lunch on her first day, and one who called half an hour before she was to start to say she'd taken a different job, but don't recall any no-shows. That sucks.

Oh I've had more than one not come back from lunch. Our jobs are complicated and we try to ease them into it, but some just get overwhelmed. And not my first no-show either.

I remember one that had very successfully...well, I won't say faked her skills but I will say implied that they were greater than they actually were. Even allowing a generous learning curve (and the job was just not that complicated) she was in over her head before she'd been with us long enough to know where the ladies room was. We gave her all the time we could to find her feet but when I finally gave up, she literally thanked me for firing her. She knew she would never catch up and didn't know how to get out from under.

Paying the unemployment claim was worth it, in that case.

Baseball starts for Cardinals today. I don't know when all other teams start. I believe some have already played regular season games. Yay baseball!!

Sorry about your new employee not showing up txls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back