Mental Health Thread #4 -- Fall/Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was really sweet and friendly. I kept telling the granddaughter "don't get any ideas, we can't keep him."

I'm with your granddaughter. I probably would have wanted to keep him for myself but wouldn't have.

I got gas today for $2.98 (Il.) - the lowest it has been for a long time. I'm just a little ways across the mighty Mississippi from St. Louis & I believe it is even a little cheaper in Mo.

It was $2.98 here last week - now back up to $3.09.

Gas is still $4.19 here, and has been for quite a while. We get our gas at a station affiliated with the supermarket where we shop and with our shopping rewards we sometimes get up to .10/gallon off, plus we also get airline miles every time we buy gas so I guess that helps (somewhat). I find it sad that we don't bat an eyelash at it costing $80 to fill our gas tank any more!

We have never had over $4.00 here. $4.19 Wow!

We have never had over $4.00 here. $4.19 Wow!

Yeah, unfortunately being located on an island means all our fuel has to be barged in so just getting it delivered here makes it much more expensive. It's even worse in some areas of Alaska, we went to another island near here a couple of months ago and it was closer to $5/gallon there!

I can remember when I was a kid, my Dad would get gas & sometimes just get a dollar's worth & it would last him for some time. I don't know (or as a kid didn't pay any attention to) what it was a gallon.

I can remember when I was a kid, my Dad would get gas & sometimes just get a dollar's worth & it would last him for some time. I don't know (or as a kid didn't pay any attention to) what it was a gallon.

I didn't pay attention to it when I was a kid, but when I was in high school (early 1970's) and we were starting to get licenses and cars I remember it being between 40 & 50 cents a gallon. Of course, to put it in perspective, I think minimum wage at the time was just a couple of dollars an hour, so I guess it's all relative. :)

I collect antique children's books, and I have one where there is an exchange between two characters: "How much is gasoline a gallon?" "Thirteen cents for the kind I use." "Here's thirty-nine cents. Get three gallons." That was published in about the mid-30's. I think it was about fifty cents or so when I started driving. The three stations I pass on my way to the train, all of which were $3.19 a few days ago, are now $3.23, $3.25 and $3.29 respectively.

Min wage was 2.90 I believe in 1978. I don't recall what gas was then but I don't recall it being a major budget item. I remember around 1987 or so there was a gas station where I would always be in line behind several guys buying $2.00 gas and a Michelob.

Those 1960's prices seem low but I was only making $0.75/hr flipping pizzas back then.

1950s Kansas, I recall the filling station on the corner dropping the price of regular to .19/gal during a gas war. That was low even back then.

When I started work in 1960, the federal min. wage was reported as $1.00.

Min wage was 2.90 I believe in 1978. I don't recall what gas was then but I don't recall it being a major budget item. I remember around 1987 or so there was a gas station where I would always be in line behind several guys buying $2.00 gas and a Michelob.

I checked google & in 1978 fed. min. wage was $2.65. I verified & in 1960 fed. min. wage was $1.00. (Min. wage could be more in some states.)

I just love how the kids Mama bought toys for the kids, took them Mr. Gatti's and to a movie on Sunday, yet I'm paying for the kids haircut and I pay for her after school care every week. This is the Mama who doesn't have a car or a place to live. At this rate she never will.

So I noticed this morning that another of those three stations on the way to work had gone up to $3.29. The third one was still at $3.23 so I decided that even if I still had over half a tank of gas, I should fill up before it went any higher. So I stopped and filled up, and was just getting back in my car to leave when the manager came out with the numbers under his arm to change the price. It was $3.27 when I came home.

You made a good decision. Every penny helps/counts.

I checked google & in 1978 fed. min. wage was $2.65. I verified & in 1960 fed. min. wage was $1.00. (Min. wage could be more in some states.)

Yep, in those days it seemed that many employers didn't feel minimum wage laws applied to them if they weren't involved in "interstate commerce". I also worked for the university for a couple of years making something under a dollar and hour. I actually quit that job because it had a 15 hr/week cap and I could actually make more money working six to midnight at the pizza joint at a lower rate. My first job out of college was straight commission (no base, no draw), so it was a couple of years before I had a salaried job that actually paid more than min. wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back