Mental Health Thread #4 -- Fall/Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The offices are closed Thursday and Friday but it sounds like it will be a ghost town around here tomorrow.

Elle, how do like your new job - how is it going?

So far, so good. Super nice people and a quarter of the employees so I think it will be less stressful. Of course, less stressful than my last job is not a real high bar.

BTW Pro, I got 48 hours because someone was offended by my poultry preparation guide.:dgrin You shouldn't encourage my thought processes by aberrant side topics.:yes:

So far, so good. Super nice people and a quarter of the employees so I think it will be less stressful. Of course, less stressful than my last job is not a real high bar.

That's great. When you have super nice people to work with that helps a lot and, of course, less stress would be really great.

Things that make you pull your hair out.

"The GM told me years ago that managers don't need a doctor's release to return to work after surgery"

Oh the joys of working though actually (for the most part) I really enjoyed working/my job. However, being retired is nice too - very nice! :)

Geez, it seems like I just changed my screen saver to a Thanksgiving theme & now I have to change it again to a Christmas one.

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Mine was superb. Now back to the daily grind for a few weeks until the next holiday.

OMG! They've erected a 15' Christmas tree in the lobby over the Thanksgiving break (12' ceiling, they had to put the rest in a skylight) Little stockings are now stuck to our nameplates by our office doors. Wow, five days off and I can't remember all my passwords or where I am on each of my seven projects. A couple more cups of coffee and maybe it'll come back to me.

Yeah, coffee was a must this morning but not just for the caffeine. The heating system isn't quite working right and there is no heat in my part of the building. I did bring in my space heater but hot coffee was a must.

Elle, do you work for a school (college/univ.) & get the week between Christmas & New Years off as I believe cbg does?

That I do. I've been in the education field for quite a few years now and while each employer was "closed" for the break, this is the first time the offices have been included. In fact, I have been informed that I am not allowed into the building at all during that week :)

Hey, great! :) ...................

I've been getting email notices on this thread, but I don' recall asking for them. Does anyone know how to turn if off?

I've been getting email notices on this thread, but I don' recall asking for them. Does anyone know how to turn if off?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I never ask for e-mail notices so thought it was kind of annoying! But I haven't taken the time to try to figure out if there's a way to turn them off.

We had a good Thanksgiving. We managed to squeeze 11 people into our living room around two tables put together and then sat the youngest kids on the couch with tray tables, which worked great. Had a ton of great food (and lots of leftovers to share with everybody).

After dinner my daughter-in-law and I ended up going to Wal-Mart and fighting the insane crowds so I could get an Xbox 360 for $99 for my husband for Christmas. I generally wouldn't shop on Thanksgiving but that was too good a deal to pass up. I got a set of cookware I'd been eyeing and bought DIL the same set as part of her Christmas gift, and also got a couple of other really good deals. We were in and out of there in an hour which wasn't too bad. It was crazy but not as bad as it could have been, and we weren't part of the huge crowd that was waiting in line for the $288 50-inch flat screen t.v.s so that was a blessing! That's the closest I've ever come to the insanity that is Black Friday shopping. I love to shop but I draw the line there!

Try clicking on settings & see if that doesn't give you various options such as receiving e-mail notifications or not.

it supposed to be in the upper 70s today, then drop into the 20s tomorrow night with sleet, snow and freezing rain. That's Texas weather for ya.

I think that is not uncommon a lot of places in the US. Right now I would give my right arm for 70s. Especially since the heat in my part of the building isn't working and my space heater keeps blowing out circuits. My department used to be an open space area until this summer when it was converted to traditional hall and office space. There wasn't an issue with the AC but now that it is cold, they realized the heating system isn't fairing so well with the new design.

it supposed to be in the upper 70s today, then drop into the 20s tomorrow night with sleet, snow and freezing rain. That's Texas weather for ya.

Just about the same here except high today some lower (mid 60s) & then 20s tomorrow with sleet/freezing rain & snow. (Mo./Il.) :(

I think that is not uncommon a lot of places in the US. Right now I would give my right arm for 70s. Especially since the heat in my part of the building isn't working and my space heater keeps blowing out circuits. My department used to be an open space area until this summer when it was converted to traditional hall and office space. There wasn't an issue with the AC but now that it is cold, they realized the heating system isn't fairing so well with the new design.

I would have a hard time handling that - I get cold very easily. Even where I worked, for me, the A/C in the summer was too cold & not enough heat in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back