Mental Health Thread #4 -- Fall/Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's sad - very, very sad. I'm so sorry. The child is lucky to have you "guys".

It's hearbreaking when a child is talking about her Christmas wish list and says " I know what I wish for, a better life." Well , we're gonna do everything we can to fulfill that wish. However, we can't get Daddy out of jail, and we can't make her mother be a better mother.

That is heartbreaking, and it's such a helpless feeling to know that there are some things we can't fix. But I know having you and your husband as a stable, loving influence in their lives is already making a huge difference to those kids.

We just really hope we can keep them. We had them once before for 3 weeks and had to give them back to Mom. But we did get court orders that gave us some rights, and good thing we did or they would be gone out of state. And we will fight harder this time to keep them.

Has the real mother called to check on her sick child? Nope.

Just a small correction, txls. The BIRTHmother hasn't called to check on her child. The child's "real" mother is the one providing her food, clothing, shelter, and love, namely you. :)

Good luck.

I'll take that correction :) We are very thankful that we are able to help them. It's been a huge adjustment for us but it's all worthwhile when you're taking care of a sick child who says "you're a good parent" or when you leave the 5yr old to visit with birthmother and he comes running to the car saying "wait, wait, I need to give you a hug."

That is so sweet but partly sad at the same time.

I'll take that correction :) We are very thankful that we are able to help them. It's been a huge adjustment for us but it's all worthwhile when you're taking care of a sick child who says "you're a good parent" or when you leave the 5yr old to visit with birthmother and he comes running to the car saying "wait, wait, I need to give you a hug."

Okay, now I'm sitting here sniffling trying to pretend my allergies are acting up! :) You've already made such a HUGE difference to those kids, showing them what it's like to have somebody who cares for them like a real parent should. That is something that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause any tears. We have shed more than a few, but now have reached more of an angry and determined state. And although these kids have been through a lot, and their lives haven't been what we want them to be, there are many kids who have it much worse.

Yep, that's true & very sad - some kids have no one like you & your husband in their lives.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause any tears. We have shed more than a few, but now have reached more of an angry and determined state. And although these kids have been through a lot, and their lives haven't been what we want them to be, there are many kids who have it much worse.

That's okay. I don't normally tear up easily but this time of year I just get a little more sentimental...my late son's birthday was October 29 and even though he's been gone 16 years now it's not hard to get me going some days!

My DIL works with many children who have it pretty tough at home and you're right, there are many kids who have it much worse and who don't have anybody they can depend on to try and make it better. It's very sad.

Sorry 2013 was a bad year for you - hope 2014 is much, much better. It will be here before you know it.

After a nice three-day weekend, my workweek started off in a not very fun way: I have jury duty, and the trial will possibly last most of the week. Not what I really wanted to be doing this week (or any week, truthfully).

Ugh.................................. :(

I have never had one. What about an open MRI?

I'm not sure if I could do the open one either. The tech said it's really not all that open. I may have been able to handle the tube if they didn't strap you down, then they put on big headphones that I found really stifling. He suggested I call my Dr about re-scheduling with meds, but now that I've had the panic attack I don't think I could even get near the thing. I'm hoping there's an option to do xrays or ct scan or something completely different.

I just suggested the open one because I had a cousin who couldn't do the regular but was able to handle the open one at a different hosp. Yep - see what your dr. says about the possibility of another option. I don't know if I could do one - the regular one anyway.

Just a note to dog owners, it's a good idea to make sure you have the correct phone number on your pet's collar. We had an overnight visitor because his phone number was wrong, but his owner did put up fliers so we matched them up today.

Good suggestion. We also have our doggie micro chipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back