Mental Health Thread #3 - Any vacations planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such applications go in my permanent "Do not hire - cannot follow directions" folder.

Of course you always receive a percentage of resumes for a given position that are waaay outside the stated qualifications, but lately I've been baffled by the volume of them. Example: a $10.00/hr receptionist posting brought in resumes from applicants with masters and even a Phd degrees. It also motivated a truck driver, a welder, a nurse, a nutritionist, a baker and a minister to apply. Construction workers, peace officers, sales reps, and even a former CEO all felt they'd be a good match for the requirements too. I have a high level of respect for veterans, but, if your only skill set is blowing stuff up with heavy artillery, I'm not sure you possess the customer service mindset to answer a phone all day and deal with gripey customers. On the other hand, putting a drill sergeant like R. Lee Emery at the front desk might cure some of the habitual whiners.
Jus rambl'n

I can somewhat tolerate a person who tries to sell you on their ability to learn quickly, but "I used to work in an office" wasn't the greatest sales pitch.

Even if you cleaned offices, you can say you worked in an office. :) I'm certainly not saying though that there is anything wrong with cleaning offices as a job but just that the qualifications wouldn't be quite there for most "regular" office jobs.

Is it just me or does the woman on the banner with the guy remind anybody of Melissa Gilbert of Little House on the Praire ?

I can somewhat tolerate a person who tries to sell you on their ability to learn quickly, but "I used to work in an office" wasn't the greatest sales pitch.

I've ridden in a dump truck my husband was driving before, so using that logic I should be qualified to drive one, right?! :D

You mean you can't! :)

I love how people who have never worked a single day in my dept think they know what my personnel needs are better than I do.

What a beautiful day in the St. Louis area for the end of July - 71 degrees. It is predicted to get around 80 both Sat. & Sunday & no rain. Last year we had 100+ degree temperatures but none this year so far. :)

Sounds lovely, Betty. We're having much the same today with temps in the high 70's predicted for next week. Warm for us, but certainly not as warm as your 100+ degree temps last year.

I don't do well in temps above about 80, but this year I'm just thankful that we've actually had some honest-to-goodness summer weather instead of the unrelenting rain and grayness we've had most of the past three or four summers. I swear, we were starting to mildew!

Last year we had a drought - hardly no rain at all & this year we seem to be having an above average amount of rain.

I can honestly say that one thing we've never had here is a drought. A drier year than normal for us is still pretty wet!

We've had such a good balance of rain and sunshine this summer that right now the wild blueberries and other kinds that grow around here are going crazy. I was walking the dog last night and right across the street from my house are a ton of beautiful huckleberries. I have my 8-year-old granddaughter for an overnight tonight so I think maybe we'll go berry picking. We can probably get enough for a jar or two of jelly, if nothing else. The kids love berry-picking, but there have been so many bear sightings in certain areas lately (they closed down one campground and a lake trail because of some bears who had no fear of humans) it makes me nervous to go into the woods to do it. The last thing I want to do is run into a bear who's picking berries from the same bush I am! At least the ones in my neighborhood are right by the sidewalk and there's not enough undergrowth for a bear to hide in. Although we could run into a deer...there have been two young deer hanging out on our block and we've seen them in our yard more than once. I had two rose bushes that were covered with beautiful yellow roses and the deer ate all but one of my roses!

That sounds like fun - enjoy your time with your granddaughter.

Right now I live walking distance to "downtown" of a small city but I'm surrounded by a state park so it seems much more rural than it is. So far no bear sightings but the deer love this place! I have a family of at least a dozen who hang out around my house all the time. Makes me nervous driving because they have absolutely no fear of cars.They barely have fear of humans either. I like to drink from this little stream not 10 feet away from my mailbox and just stand there and drink while I'm getting my mail.

Decided to move the end of August. I'm kind of excited and I'll be glad to be rid of this house (it cured me of ever wanting to live in any house older than I am ever again) but I will kind of miss the deer.

We had a great time berry picking, except that somebody else had come along and picked all the huckleberries earlier in the day. We did get a few blueberries, it was funny because she kept looking at them and saying "wow, that's a lot of berries!" There were only about enough to fill up two-thirds of a sandwich bag, but she was so proud when she took them home the next day!

Awww, that's sweet - as long as she was happy with what she was able to pick.

OK, why does this have me posting as a guest?
Are you logged in? On occasion the system doesn't match the user up properly and you'll be considered a "guestpost." I've got a neat little system where new users can post a question, register, and then their post goes from being a guestpost and switched to their recently registered username. So whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with, lol. I'll make the change, which most moderators can do as well (you can see the change user option in the administration tools.)

Didn't we just turn our calendars over to July! My calendar is telling me I have to turn the page again - where does the time go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back