Mental Health Thread #3 - Any vacations planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Elle, or anyone else who knows - a friend is asking, is there anything in DOT regulations or in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regs that require a 30 minute PAID break for drivers? Understood there is a 30 minute break after 8 hours - does it have to be paid?

I've already given my friend the FLSA and state laws. I told her I'd check if there were any industry specific ones.

The references I checked & google search I did made no mention about paid breaks for 30 min. breaks - just: 7-1-2013 Rest breaks - May drive only if 8 hours or less have passed since end of driver's last off-duty or sleeper-berth period of at least 30 minutes. (Fed. Motor Carrier Safety Admin.)

Last edited:
I'm not saying there "might" not be a law that they HAVE TO be paid - I'm just saying my references didn't note anything about being paid. You would think one would have.

Thanks, Bertie.

In other news, those of you from the old board will probably remember Maven. She is in very serious need of thoughts and prayers right now as her husband is undergoing emergency surgery today for a subdural hematoma. It's touch and go whether he will survive, and if he does survive, he may or may not still have brain function. Please, whatever Higher Power you acknowledge, have a few words with Him or Her today on their behalf. Thanks.

Oh man, saying prayers for Maven & her husband. cbg, keep us updated when you know more/when you can. It wasn't that long ago that they moved into their new place. :(

Right now it's just a matter of waiting for his daughter to get here to say goodbye before they turn off the machines. She'll be here tonight.

So very sad. I will continue to pray for him, family & friends.

cbg, if you remember to, would you tell Maven she and her family are in my thoughts & prayers & that I am so very sorry.

Ad in the paper says "Title and billing clerk for auto dealership, experienced only call".

So of course I get this call, "what kind of experience do you need?" Title and billing for an auto dealership.
"Oh, well I used to work in an office." At a dealership? "no"

I guess they thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. :)

I guess they thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. :)

I love it when we get those "wouldn't hurt to give it a try" types of calls or applications. I remember one, we were advertising for a position that had some very specific requirements about computer experience and expertise, and we got an application from a person who had never done anything but babysit (she was just out of high school) and who didn't even know how to power up a computer, much less actually use one. With those, I don't know whether to applaud their self-confidence or be appalled by their cluelessness!

I wonder if they believe the employer maybe really doesn't need all the experience/expertise requirements they mention....but why would the employer mention them if they didn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back