Mental Health Thread #3 - Any vacations planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty3

Since the last mental health thread has over 200 posts (268 to be exact), I thought it was time to start a new one.

Does anyone have a summer vacation/trip planned? I'm staying home.

I just got back from Maine. We're going back up for Labor Day weekend and I may take a day or two here and there for long weekends. But right now I'm hoarding my vacation days for a big blast next spring to go to the UK with three friends.

We can't afford a big vacation this year but we are planning a little bit of a getaway to a small town near here. We live in a fairly small city (pop.12,000) but it's a very busy tourist destination so it's always bustling and busy here during the summer (generally we get four ginormous cruise ships in port every day from May - September). We love to go to this little town of about 2,500 and just decompress for a few days. My employer owns a house there so we can stay in the house and we take the dog with us and it's just a very nice relaxing time.

We plan to stay home this summer and enjoy our pool and enjoy having family visit us, then take a trip somewhere in the fall. Tennessee is one possibility.

My "vacations" are usually tied to some sort of HR conference. Went to Savannah for a few days after the Atlanta SHRM conf. last year. Just got back from an organizational HR conf. at a retreat center outside of NYC. Spent a couple of days in "The City" afterwards. (Wifes's idea of a vacation, not mine) Given the cost of that two-day stay, I'll be hang'n out in the back yard the rest of the summer, unless my sister decides this is the time to bury our parent's ashes, in which case I'll be driving to Iowa.

I just got back from Maine. We're going back up for Labor Day weekend and I may take a day or two here and there for long weekends. But right now I'm hoarding my vacation days for a big blast next spring to go to the UK with three friends.

I believe I "might" know at least one of the friends you are planning on going to the UK with - that will be great fun!

My "vacations" are usually tied to some sort of HR conference. Went to Savannah for a few days after the Atlanta SHRM conf. last year. Just got back from an organizational HR conf. at a retreat center outside of NYC. Spent a couple of days in "The City" afterwards. (Wifes's idea of a vacation, not mine) Given the cost of that two-day stay, I'll be hang'n out in the back yard the rest of the summer, unless my sister decides this is the time to bury our parent's ashes, in which case I'll be driving to Iowa.

I spend my money on season tickets to the St. Louis Cardinal games for one of my brothers & me - no vacations.

For some reason I didn't originally see the replies by you "guys" - cynthiag, hrforme & txls -- those plans sound enjoyable.

The wheels are in motion for my husband and I to take custody of his grandkids. 4yr old boy and 8 yr old girl. Pray for us.

The wheels are in motion for my husband and I to take custody of his grandkids. 4yr old boy and 8 yr old girl. Pray for us.

Wow, Linda, that's major!

We always enjoy the time we spend with my grandkids but part of the fun is knowing that we aren't the ones responsible for raising them full time, although I would do it in a heartbeat if necessary, of course. I'll be thinking of you and your husband during this huge, life-changing time!

I hang on the family law forums - if there's anything I can do to help, please feel free to bug me!

Love and prayers coming your way.

Vacations? Well, to tell you how few I have taken, I could take off of work for more than 6 months and not lose a dime.

This year, I will be taking off for four weeks ... driving from CA to PA to attend and shoot Yankees at the 150th Anniversary reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg July 4th thru 7th, and then returning to CA to attend 4 days (and one preview night) of Comic Con (aka Nerdvana) in San Diego! My wife and one son are going back east with me, and two sons are going with me to San Diego. I may need a vacation to recover from the vacation!

Mixed in there is the possibility of job interviews, so my plans may change ... needless to say this summer is going to be challenging!

Will do. That's a big step. ♥

TXLS: I lost a manager last year who was doing the same thing, only she was given custody of four grand children including a baby.
Talk about your life-altering-events.
LDA

"Lord, give txls the strength, energy, wisdom and enough hours of sleep to handle the challenge before her."

It is major and we so not ready for this. We lucked out and my stepson and his wife were off work this week so they're keeping them. I don't have a plan yet for next week. Thanks for the offer Proserpina, I may take you up on that. Hopefully the big check I wrote to an attorney yesterday will take care of everything in that regard. Things are ridiculous crazy at work right now which doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back