Mental Health Thread #10-Fall is Coming

Semi-monthly is a pain in the neck for the payroll folks.
I have been working with the payroll for 25 years, the first 20 doing it myself and the last 5 supervising the person doing it, and always semi-monthly, and have never found it a pain. We have a very simple payroll, only 140 employees, 99% of whom are paid on a salaried basis, so that's probably what makes the difference. We've also used ADP for 19 years and for the most part it's been great and we like it, which puts me in the minority of most other payroll people on here. I guess we're just different all the way around!

If you are hired for a temp assignment(2 days) that could turn into an 8 week assignment if you do well, and you are not sure if blue jeans are allowed. Seems like you wouldn't take chances.

Agree.

You go in the first day dressed in businesslike apparel and then find out what the dress code is.

Agree, but I also always try to tell the agency our dress code (which isn't strict, but jeans are only on Fridays) and expect them to pass that on to the candidate.

So ready for the holidays. There are like 10 people actually working today but those 10 seems to be needing something from me. Was at work until 7:30 last night. NOT staying late tonight.

Pretty psyched that it will be in the 70's for Christmas, even if it is supposed to rain.

It's always hectic around here this time of year, trying to get ready for year end and one employee is going out on medical leave Jan 7. However my days off will probably include 4 children, so not very relaxing.

It never fails. You bring in free food and people think A) they don't have to clock out while they eat or B) they think they can only take 1/2 hour (so they rack up a 1/2 hour OT)

Happy Holidays to one & all. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas, Blessed Christmas, Safe Christmas to all, ho ho ho

Happy New Year's Eve & Happy New Year, everyone!!

How hard is it to fill out a timesheet? Really.
I don't know, it seems pretty difficult for some people. It's pretty much a constant battle around here to a) get the employees to fill them out correctly and b)get the supervisors to pay attention when they sign off on them so when there is an issue they can go directly to their employee and have them correct it. How do these people have the ability to do their job if they can't even grasp the correct way to fill out a time sheet?

It is better than it was as far as approvals. Sharing lists of those not compliant at monthly VP meetings tends to improve that. It is the correctly part that is problematic. Every employee can see their leave balance when they fill out the timesheet. I also sent out and posted links to sample EOY timesheets. They had to click past the sample to get to the timesheet. Not that EOY is really all that different, it just has more holidays than usual. That should not be a game changer. Want to know how to fill out the timesheets? Look at the sample right in front of you. Does yours look like that one? If not, make it look like that one.

It has begun. I got my first, "When will I receive my W-2?" question today.

I don't know. Ask Payroll. They send them out, Benefits doesn't.

I have yet to work for an employer (and some of you all know how many employers I've had) where HR sent out the W-2s, let alone Benefits. I have yet to work for an employer where the employees did not call HR/Benefits to demand them.

I believe most (many anyway) employees believe HR knows & handles it all.

I have yet to work for an employer (and some of you all know how many employers I've had) where HR sent out the W-2s, let alone Benefits

Since I've only worked for small companies where I am Benefits/HR/Accounting/IT/buy the toilet paper guy, that makes me laugh.

Back