diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybailey

I am going thru a relationship breakup, he cheated after he gave me a diamond ring, am I required to return it back to him? In anger he said he would sue me if I did not return it. He lives in AZ & I live in MS. I am still very disappointed that he cheated. The question is, "can he sue me for this?"

Last edited:
I am going thru a relationship breakup, he cheated after he gave me a diamond ring, am I required to return it back to him? In anger he said he would sue me if I did not return it. He lives in AZ & I live in MS. I am still very disappointed that he cheated. The question is, "can he sue me for this?"

Is the ring an engagement ring?

If this is just a ring he gave you- you can keep it-- if this is a engagement ring -- there was a promise to get married and now the marriage wont happen so he is entitled to it back.

The big question is, was this an engagement ring? Did he propose? If he did he is entitled to the ring back. If he didn't then it is a gift and yours to keep most likely. He can always sue you regardless but a court will determine if you owe him.

If we're talking about an engagement ring....

Some state Supreme Courts have ruled on the question of who gets the ring, but not all. There have been cases in which fault was a factor in determining who gets the ring when the wedding is called off.

If you don't return the ring, he can sue. If he sues, you may have to return the ring. Or, maybe you won't. It's up to you whether or not you want to go through the hassle of a lawsuit.

Hi,
We were not going to get married, for financial reasons its better that we don't, it was a ring to show his love & to prove & show me how much he did love me & so I would move to AZ. I was going to move to AZ, we had planned on that. He gave me the love ring in May 08, cheated on me in Aug 08, it was the 3rd & final time of his cheating for me. He came to visit over the Christmas holidays to try to resurrect the relationship, the feelings are not the same as I feel I cannot trust what he will do next. I am not comfortable moving long distance, because of his past behaviors . Keep in mind we are in our fifties & all children are grown.
The first time he cheated was when I was diagnosed with a serious health issue & he did not stand by me, did not break off our relationship, just cheated for 2 months & the other women called me, she has called & ratted him out all 3 times. By the way its always the same women, imagine that!
Thanks for your thoughts, I do appreciate the feed back.

I have a feeling that this is going to be an argument over whether this was an engagement ring. If he did not propose then its going to be hard for him to prove it was an engagement ring.

Hi,
Duranie, dee_dub, irish223, Theresagail, & baystate I appreciate the advice & thank you very much.
Now Mr. Arizonia is trying to be nice, 6 days after threatening to sue me because I won't move to AZ. It is very hard to trust or believe him. What is a woman to do...... any ideas?
Thanks again,
Sandy

What do you mean by "be nice"?

Taking off my legal hat and putting on my Ann Landers wig...

If he's just being nice, that's great. People should be nice.

If he's trying to reconcile, tell him "no thanks". Unless you really want to reconcile.

If he's being nice in hope of getting the ring back, then decide whether you want to fight about it or give it back, and act accordingly.

Hi,
Duranie, dee_dub, irish223, Theresagail, & baystate I appreciate the advice & thank you very much.
Now Mr. Arizonia is trying to be nice, 6 days after threatening to sue me because I won't move to AZ. It is very hard to trust or believe him. What is a woman to do...... any ideas?
Thanks again,
Sandy

I have a few...But probably would get banned for voicing them. ;)

Return the ring and forget the jerk.

Update:
This morning as I was thinking I might be missing Phoenix, he had just called me & talked about us, love etc. I had told him to give it alittle time & I would think about moving west. Then 20 minutes later I get a phone call from the same women he always cheats with & she tells me he is lying to me again, so she set up a 3 way phone call & baited him into talking about what he had been doing with her & 3 other women. After 10-15 minutes of listening I spoke up & he was shocked to hear me on the phone. Of course he lied & denied everything again. Amazing. what an idiot he is to think he won't be busted! And what an idiot he thinks I am.... why do we always fall for the wrong person, or the bad ones? Thanks for listening!
Sandy in Mississippi

yes! back it to him again , because whenever you try to look that ring, it would be back in your mind about your relationship breakup. Try to move on! :yes:
but if you love that ring, don't return it back to him ! lol ... i hope my advice , help you :)

Cheating is usually a good indication that's its over unless you like that kind of thing, and I don't suppose you do. Do what makes you happy and then find someone who likes to see you that way.( I'm definitely not a lawyer)

God loves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back