Afraid to allow visitation after serving Intent to Relcoate Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

planetm

I served my ex-husband with Intent to Relocate 2 days ago. (History: I have full custody to decide residence, medical and education for our child with no restriction on where we live in the order or by the courts. The father has our child twice a year for visitation as requested in the order.) The situation is, I am afraid to let my son go for his visitation in a weeks time as I am worried he will go to the courts and ask for a temporary order to hold the child until we get this to court. Can he do this? I am not worried about going to court to show this move is in the best interest of our child i.e. moving near 30+ family members, better education and so forth; I AM however worried he will keep our child in his custody UNTIL that hearing. Can he do this legally? What should I do? I don't want to with hold visitation as I am in contempt of the custody order but I also am fearful this is the type of thing he would pull. PLEASE any advice as to how this works and if I am worrying for no reason.

No reason to worry.

You and him both MUST follow the court order.

Police don't usually get involved in civil matters, but when the time comes to pick your child up, and he refuses, have a copy of the court order with you in hand, and ask for a deputy to meet you there and observe, or "keep the peace."

There is more than more family members and better schools that factor into if the move would be allowed should Dad contest it. If the move is granted, expect to pay ALL transportation cost, because YOUR move would be creating the extra distance.

I served my ex-husband with Intent to Relocate 2 days ago. (History: I have full custody to decide residence, medical and education for our child with no restriction on where we live in the order or by the courts. The father has our child twice a year for visitation as requested in the order.) The situation is, I am afraid to let my son go for his visitation in a weeks time as I am worried he will go to the courts and ask for a temporary order to hold the child until we get this to court. Can he do this? I am not worried about going to court to show this move is in the best interest of our child i.e. moving near 30+ family members, better education and so forth; I AM however worried he will keep our child in his custody UNTIL that hearing. Can he do this legally? What should I do? I don't want to with hold visitation as I am in contempt of the custody order but I also am fearful this is the type of thing he would pull. PLEASE any advice as to how this works and if I am worrying for no reason.

You have already been advised by an attorney on the other forum.

MD is correct - many of us "cross post" in the other forums.

As Bay stated, an attorney actually advised OP on a different forum. There's honestly not much to add unless one of us goes and pastes the posts from there to here.

I don't have the time for that, I'm sorry.

I don't know, OP, just thinking outta the box here.

Why not offer to "give" full custody of the child to the daddy?

That way, YOU can relocate anytime you wish and anywhere you wish!

Win-Win, big Win-Win.

If he refuses to return the child, he'll keep her/him 2-3 days and beg you to take him/her back after he discovers how hard single parenting can be. Well, if not 2-3 days; surely in 2-3 months.

Last edited:
I couldn't part with my son for even that amount of time (2-3 months would be absolute agony!) I am sure you are right but he will have him for visitation as much as he was previously. I am not tying to be horrible to the father - I have struggled for 7 years with no child support (in UK they don't enforce and he is already behind in support here in the US. which I am sure will hurt his green card application). Despite having a disability I have managed to care for my son in a very good way but now realize that support of family will benefit both of us greatly. He is in Scouts, swimming, doing well at school. church and so forth. It will work out I am sure.

I did not mean to offend anyone. I apologize.

You didn't offend me, OP.

I can't speak for anyone but myself.

Anyway, if the sperm donor hasn't paid child support, I don't see him trying to stop your move legally.

Why not just return to the UK?

It is far better in the UK.

It always has been.

You Brits are civilized.

These colonists are a crazy, violent, looney bunch.

Yeah, head back to the UK.

The US is all but done.

The current administration has all but slaughtered this golden egg laying goose!

You're quiet the character! No, I am American through and through so I am here to stay and want to be with family. It may be crazy here but it is my home!! Brits civilized - most, some are but I may have to rethink that with regard to my ex!!

You didn't offend me, OP.

I can't speak for anyone but myself.

Anyway, if the sperm donor hasn't paid child support, I don't see him trying to stop your move legally.

Why not just return to the UK?

It is far better in the UK.

It always has been.

You Brits are civilized.

These colonists are a crazy, violent, looney bunch.

Yeah, head back to the UK.

The US is all but done.

The current administration has all but slaughtered this golden egg laying goose!
Sorry. Not all of us are "crazy". My ancestors were most wonderful. So much so that YOU now find yourself a Texan as opposed to a western colonist. Yes. Say thanks to my forbearer's. :p

Sorry. Not all of us are "crazy". My ancestors were most wonderful. So much so that YOU now find yourself a Texan as opposed to a western colonist. Yes. Say thanks to my forbearer's. :p

I praised you Brits.

I criticized these colonists, of which, unfortunately I am now one.

That said, my ancestors emanated from the UK, Germany, Scotland, and France.

The OP is the one that disputed my effusive praise of those wonderful people in the UK and their beautiful, regal queen.

God save The Queen and the wonderful royal family!

I praised you Brits.

I criticized these colonists, of which, unfortunately I am now one.

That said, my ancestors emanated from the UK, Germany, Scotland, and France.

The OP is the one that disputed my effusive praise of those wonderful people in the UK and their beautiful, regal queen.

God save The Queen and the wonderful royal family!
Pro is the Brit. I am the Yankee.

Pro is the Brit. I am the Yankee.

Oops, and I'm the illiterate dummy.

Excuse my rant.

I'm also a US citizen, and embarrassed to say so.

Sadly, this once great country has become a huge, oozing, festering sewer filled with masses of beggars, con-artists, violent thugs, uneducated louts, impolite buffoons, and weak, kneed Willies.

If one can get out, get out.

If one is thinking of jumping into the ooze of human excrement, don't.

Sadly, this great experiment is in it's dying days.

Oops, and I'm the illiterate dummy.

Excuse my rant.

I'm also a US citizen, and embarrassed to say so.

Sadly, this once great country has become a huge, oozing, festering sewer filled with masses of beggars, con-artists, violent thugs, uneducated louts, impolite buffoons, and weak, kneed Willies.

If one can get out, get out.

If one is thinking of jumping into the ooze of human excrement, don't.

Sadly, this great experiment is in it's dying days.
Wow. I disagree. Things will get much better not that GWB is gone!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back