step daughter wants emancipated

I'm at the school, with a drug test. She is refusing(and screaming about wanting her boyfriend). I have called our CPS case worker, who is on her way.

Yeah, she's probably abusing the STUFF, too.
More than likely when a girl behaves this way, a creepy man is involved.

She passed a 5 panel drug test. She has read the articles and links shared. She still is going through with it. Her boyfriend is 20, so we plan on pressing charges and locking her down...possibly stop her from working. She has skipped school, so we are beyond pissed.

She passed a 5 panel drug test. She has read the articles and links shared. She still is going through with it. Her boyfriend is 20, so we plan on pressing charges and locking her down...possibly stop her from working. She has skipped school, so we are beyond pissed.

Yes, the other drug with little girls, creepy men who get them twisted and turn the little darlings into freaky monsters.

I wish you and your family all the best.

I wish you the best of luck - tough situation.

Not a good situation but I have to feel for this girl too. Her mother is a druggie who lost custody. It isn't clear where her father was during that time or how much contact there was between you but it does not sound like there was a strong presence before she got dumped with Dad by default. She had a lousy role model in Mom and doesn't know how to act any other way. Dad is saying to go ahead and just leave and you are accusing her of being just like Mom. The teenage years are tough enough without all that.

You all really need family counseling and should have been talking regularly with the school long before now. I would also suggest counseling for you and your husband. Just because the girl will be 18 soon does not make her any less his child.

We are already in counseling, the mother kept the kids from him, she moved constantl between three states, and as soon as we caught her...we started fighting for custody, then the mom was arrested. She is acting like her mom. Her mom allowed the boyfriend to travel with them and sleep in the same bed. Her mom and her have both been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. When she tried to tell my kids to help her file her 14th claim of abuse in the last 3 years, I had to quit giving her so much benefit of the doubt. She won't communicate with therapists, unless it's lies. She refuses meds.

She laughed when confronted in therapy about trying to claim abuse in our home. The look on her face was scary. My husband says that's not his baby. The state couldn't track them down, we exhausted all our resources to find those kids...then they refuse to be helped, they refuse to follow a few rules (no booze, no drugs, do homework, do the 2 chores a week)

Still remains that this girl has been through tremendous upheaval and is not living with virtual strangers who disparage the only parent she knew and tell her that she is just like that person. Your requests may be reasonable for a kid you raised with those expectations. This child was not. Expecting an older teenager raised in the environment she was to suddenly change and conform to your household is not reasonable. Responding to her behavior the way you have been is not helping. It is going to take a lot of counseling for all of you to make this transition work. Don't assume her lies are believed or that progress isn't being made.

I do feel sorry for her, but she creates chaos for entertainment. She has no respect for anyone, including herself. I'm the only one not on board for putting her inpatient, she knows that, and she still pushes.

Again, that is all she knows. If inpatient is being recommended and you clearly can not handle her at home, I am unclear why you are against it, but as her guardian that is your call. It could even be that she realizes that is what she needs but doesn't want to admit it.

I've been inpatient, so I have an aversion. Her father and I have put in for a day off Friday to go check her in. She doesn't know yet.

My step-daughter is taking us to court in about 2 weeks. Her counsellors helped her to file the papers. Our lawyer says she has no chance, but she is convinced she has already won. We won't know her exact reason until the court date. She is back home and continuing her same unstable behavior. I have recorded her screaming. My older son is going as a witness against her. I'm still baffled how she was released from the hospital without her being stable.

When you spoke to your attorney about this, what did he say? I've never once heard of emancipating a teenager and ordering the parents to pay support. Was this truly a full emancipation or just medical?

It was a full emancipation. She moved in with her boyfriend. Our lawyer is challenging the judgement in a different county (bc he said neither support or insurance has ever been awarded in the rare instance that an emancipation has been awarded ). Our lawyer is actually baffled by the situation.

No. A judge emancipated a 17 year old, she had been previously inpatient, she refused therapy and meds, she skipped school, and her room was left by her trashed. She gets to get child support, while using her father's insurance...leaving him responsible for copays from everything. She moved in with her boyfriend, and she has quit taking her birth control. None of this is legal, our lawyer has shown us in law books, and has requested a different judge in a different county. We are worried for her, but we also have to worry about the rest of our household. She has told her other grandmother that she wants to get back at her father for not letting her run free by getting pregnant, and leaving him with the bill (we called, average cost post insurance payout is 8500).

Oh...she has told us that she is applying for HUD & foodstamps. It makes me worried that other kids her age and younger will pull this crap. I'm worried about the other cases this judge has heard and ruled upon. I'm worried how she will adjust to reality as an adult.

Back