1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

step daughter wants emancipated

Discussion in 'Emancipation Law' started by Lisa3475, Oct 4, 2015.

1. shrinkmaster

shrinkmaster Well-Known Member

What Judge ordered is NOT emancipation! Emancipation is about self support. I agree your Lawyer needs to act and quickly.

2. shrinkmaster

Right now concern yourself with YOUR child

3. Lisa3475

Lisa3475 Law Topic Starter Member

The lawyer has filed for a judge change. What else can we do to protect ourselves? The papers clearly state emancipation, separate adult entity...

4. shrinkmaster

Emancipation is about "self" support giving her any funds, insurance etc is not self support. However (not to be rude) but you have a Lawyer you should be working with him/her not random people on a website

5. Lisa3475

Not taken as rude, I was just more or less warning other parents and guardians of my legal mess bc nowhere online did I find that any of this could happen.

6. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

Were you actually IN the courtroom and heard the judge say so? Did you receive official court notice of this? Because that is pretty much unheard of.

7. shrinkmaster

If you want to share this with other parents a "Legal forum" may not be the place. Try a "Parenting forum" like one linked below. It is more suited to share info with other parents Parent Nook Forums - Index page it is affiliated with this site

8. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

You'll need to work with your lawyer as apparently you are - the best of luck to you & your whole family.

9. Lisa3475

She went to his chamber's later in the day to speak with him alone, but he granted the emancipation. The paperwork we received informed of us of child support and insurance, which was not said to us directly. We never agreed nor said that we would do these things. We were never directly told of anything or signed anything but full emancipation.

10. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

See, this is where I'm having trouble. The concept of a minor being granted full emancipation but having the parents pay her support are mutually exclusive. So there's something not adding up here.

11. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I suggest you continue to work with your lawyer.

The entire event is bizarre.

Whatever was granted will be overturned.

Seek an injunction (stay the verdict) while the appeal winds it's way through the process.

It ALL ends when the little demon becomes an adult.

I smell the stench of an adult relative all over this, a very close adult relative is the puppeteer.

Lisa3475 likes this.
  12. Lisa3475

Her other grandma knows the judge(which we just discovered). We meet with another judge in a few hours, who looked the papers over via our lawyer yesterday. The new judge meeting with us immediately seems to be a good sign that things will be fixed legally.

13. shrinkmaster

Legally yes but there is still "fixing" to do with the child and little time to do so. Once the child turns 18 she can do as she pleases. While working on your legal concerns you might also look into how you can direct this child on right path and heal any open wounds caused by this

14. Lisa3475

She was summoned to appear with us this morning, but she didn't show up. The judge is overturning the emancipation, so that we can get her the help she needs. She isn't at school, and we can't find her at all. The new judge suggested a psych hospital, so I am looking for a reputable location. The police are looking, and we are looking for her. Our lawyer is wanting to file something against the judge that was swayed by my step daughters other grandmother, but we are focussing on getting her tended to first.

15. ElleMD

ElleMD Well-Known Member

When she runs out of money and realizes none will be forthcoming, she will turn up. A psychiatric hospital or boarding school for troubled youths is the way to go.

16. army judge

Once the legalities are settled, allow the little demon to become an adult demon and send her on her way into the big, beautiful world with her pedophile lover!!!!

I learned many years ago that a relative can do you far more harm than a stranger.
    No matter how well you treat some people (your children, too), its never good enough.
    Rest assured, you need not worry about repairing the damage the little demon caused you.

17. Lisa3475

She crossed a county over into Texas and is being held at a hospital. I'm headed to sign her in at a psych hospital in Little Rock. She thought that crossing state lines would free her of being summoned. The police caught her, and she fought them. What a mess... Thank you all.

18. army judge

I'll bet the pedophile lover man has gone missing.
    Thank your lucky stars.
    The little demon is about to learn a lesson.

BTW, at age 17 in Texas, she'll be treated as an adult.

Simply touching a cop in Texas is a very BIG deal....

Lisa3475 likes this.
  19. Disabled Vet

Disabled Vet Active Member

Please keep us posted as how things are going.... I pray that one day she will wake up... That your family is put back together. I would continue pressing charges against the boyfriend....

Lisa3475 likes this.
  20. Lisa3475

The officer she hit had to get a few stitches, so I'm sure that will be a legal adventure. She is on lockdown in the mental facility, and we won't be able to see her for a few days. Her brother and my own children seem to have bonded over this, so our home life is easier with everyone pitching in and getting along. I've got a meeting with the police after work to see what they will be charging her with.