Received letter determination/right to sue

guyo

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
hello
About 18 months ago, I left my job due to a hostile work environment due to sexual harassment (a few slurs were uttered to me in a department heads meeting was the main part but there was more). I hired a lawyer originally for a demand letter that the company declined so my lawyer steered me into the direction of the EEOC. I ended up getting a charge in my favor with a max charge of 50k in damages and 50k in pay. The company refused to pay offering only 5k. I refused, rehired my lawyer on contingency, received a letter of determination + right to sue. I'm still out of work and have been being treated for mental illness due to this job. What are next steps after filing suit? Am I going to have to talk about these horrible situations in court and lastly what would a case like this be worth settling or not settling?

What are next steps after filing suit?

The next steps are the discovery process where each side asks the other for the evidence and information they have that relates to the case and the filing of pretrial motions.

Am I going to have to talk about these horrible situations in court...

As part of the discovery process your employer's attorney will almost certainly conduct depositions of you and any other witnesses you might have. In the depositions you'll be asked about all your claims of sexual harassment, so you'll have to explain exactly what happened to you. And if the case goes to trial, your lawyer will have you testify as to what happened to you as that is needed to get that evidence to the jury. The employer's attorney will then cross examine you to find any errors, inconsistencies or other problems he/she can exploit to undermine your case.

...and lastly what would a case like this be worth settling or not settling?

No idea how much your case might be worth settling for. I don't have all the facts nor do I know what juries in your area are likely to award. That's something to ask your lawyer.

What are next steps after filing suit?

Possible pleading motions, discovery, possible dispositive motions, mediation or other alternative dispute resolution and, if the case doesn't settle, trial. But really, the next steps are to sit down with your lawyer to discuss this.

Am I going to have to talk about these horrible situations in court

Only if the case doesn't settle or otherwise get resolved before trial (as upwards of 85% of civil cases do), and only if you want to win.

what would a case like this be worth settling or not settling?

I don't really understand the dichotomy you're trying to draw here, but no one here has the slightest idea what your case might be worth. That's also something you need to discuss with your lawyer.

Back