NYS Covid Vaccine Mandate

wrongful termination lawsuit based on a doctor's note that I am not a good candidate for the vaccine and there are major risk factors for my specific case. The risk outweighs the benefits of the vaccine for me

Get two ORIGINAL notes, keep one note for your records, give the 2nd note to the designated person within your employer's hierarchy, you'll receive the requisite absolution, you'll retain your employment, it becomes UNNECESSARY to sue anyone, you live to fight another day.

=============================================

Many employers require employees to receive vaccinations to reduce the spread of communicable diseases in the workplace. Employer-required flu vaccinations have been a common practice for years and the COVID-19 vaccine will soon become more widely available. Employers who want to require employees to take the vaccine should know that federal law allows employees to ask to be exempted from the requirement due to medical or religious reasons.

Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with a disability, unless the employer can demonstrate that doing so creates an undue hardship to the employer or poses a direct threat to the safety of the employee or others in the workplace.

Employers also have an obligation to accommodate an employee's sincerely held religious belief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (Title VII), unless the accommodation creates an undue hardship. A sincerely held religious belief can include an employee's religious-based objection to vaccinations.

This guide takes you through the steps to handle a current employee's accommodation request to be exempt from the employer's vaccination requirement(s).

STEP 1: DETERMINE WHETHER THE EMPLOYER IS COVERED BY THE ADA AND TITLE VII

All employers, including state and local government employers, with 15 or more employees are covered under the ADA and Title VII. Federal government employers are also covered by Title VII; however, for disability accommodations, federal government employers must comply with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 instead of the ADA, although the protections are very similar.

STEP 2: ENSURE THAT A POLICY AND PROCEDURE EXIST FOR HANDLING ACCOMMODATION REQUESTS

Organizations should implement or review policies and procedures for handling requests for medical and religious accommodations.

Existing job descriptions should also be reviewed to confirm they include all aspects of the job and include any requirements for mandatory vaccinations.

STEP 3: REVIEW REQUESTS FOR EXEMPTION FROM THE VACCINE REQUIREMENT

Employee requests for exemption from the vaccination requirement should be reviewed to determine if the request falls under the ADA or Title VII obligations for the employer to consider accommodation. A request for exemption due to a personal preference not to receive a vaccine is not protected by law, and the employer should reiterate the company policy and the consequences for not complying with the vaccination mandate.

Employees need not use any particular verbiage when requesting an accommodation. Managers and supervisors should understand how to recognize a request for accommodation and who to relay the information to within the company.

Requests for accommodation due to a disability or religious belief should be further reviewed following the steps below.

STEP 4: INITIATE THE INTERACTIVE PROCESS

Upon learning of the possible need for a reasonable accommodation, employers should engage in a process in which the employee, his or her health care provider or religious leader, and the employer share information about the nature of the disability or religious belief and the limitations on receiving an employer-required vaccination. This process is referred to as the interactive process and involves a good-faith effort by the employer and the employee to discuss the employee's specific circumstances. The purpose of this discussion is to determine what (if any) accommodations may be needed.

The interactive process involves a review of the accommodation request from the employee. Neither the ADA nor Title VII requires the request to be put in writing; however, having documentation of the request is a good practice.

For ADA accommodations, the employee should be asked to provide appropriate documentation from his or her health care provider regarding the nature of any impairment(s), the duration of the need for accommodation and the extent to which the impairment(s) conflict with the employer's vaccination requirement.

In the event the employer needs to consult with the employee's health care provider, the employer must obtain a written medical release or permission from the employee. The employee's health care provider may not disclose information or answer questions about the employee's disability without his or her permission.

For religious accommodations, the employee should be asked to provide an explanation of his or her sincerely held religious beliefs and, if necessary, appropriate documentation from his or her religious leader regarding the religious belief that conflicts with the employer's vaccination requirement.

STEP 5: DETERMINE WHETHER THE EMPLOYEE HAS A DISABILITY UNDER THE ADA

For religious accommodation requests, skip this step.

Organizations should use the definition of a "disability" and a "qualified individual with a disability" under provisions of the ADA, along with information obtained during the interactive process, to help make this determination. The ADA defines disability as an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity. The Job Accommodation Network has resources to assist employers in making this determination. The ADA also includes a list of medical conditions that would automatically be considered disabilities.

STEP 6: DETERMINE WHETHER THE EMPLOYEE HAS A SINCERELY HELD RELIGIOUS BELIEF

For medical accommodation requests, skip this step.

Title VII requires employers to accommodate only those religious beliefs that are "sincerely held." Because the definition of religion is broad and protects beliefs and practices with which the employer may be unfamiliar, the employer should ordinarily assume that an employee's request for religious accommodation is based on a sincerely held religious belief. If, however, the employer has an objective basis for questioning either the religious nature or the sincerity of a particular belief or practice, the employer would be justified in seeking additional supporting information.

STEP 7: DETERMINE IF THE ACCOMMODATION POSES A DIRECT THREAT OR CREATES AN "UNDUE HARDSHIP"

The ADA requires employers to grant an accommodation request, unless the accommodation would result in undue hardship on the employer or poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others.

When evaluating the existence of a direct threat, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) provides the following guidance, "employers should conduct an individualized assessment of four factors in determining whether a direct threat exists: the duration of the risk; the nature and severity of the potential harm; the likelihood that the potential harm will occur; and the imminence of the potential harm. A conclusion that there is a direct threat would include a determination that an unvaccinated individual will expose others to the virus at the worksite. If an employer determines that an individual who cannot be vaccinated due to disability poses a direct threat at the worksite, the employer cannot exclude the employee from the workplace—or take any other action—unless there is no way to provide a reasonable accommodation (absent undue hardship) that would eliminate or reduce this risk so the unvaccinated employee does not pose a direct threat."

Similarly, employers should be careful when using the undue hardship defense as a rationale to not provide an accommodation. Under the ADA, undue hardship must be based on an individualized assessment of current circumstances that show that a specific reasonable accommodation would cause significant difficulty or expense. Under Title VII, the undue hardship defense to providing religious accommodation requires a showing that the proposed accommodation in a particular case poses a "more than de minimis" cost or burden.

Employers should seek input from the employee's supervisor, who has knowledge about the duties of the position and the worksite, to help determine the feasibility of what may be a "reasonable" accommodation, including alternative accommodations to the one requested by the employee.

According to the EEOC, "if an employee cannot get vaccinated for COVID-19 because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance, and there is no reasonable accommodation possible, then it would be lawful for the employer to exclude the employee from the workplace. This does not mean the employer may automatically terminate the worker. Employers will need to determine if any other rights apply under the EEO laws or other federal, state, and local authorities."

STEP 8: NOTIFY THE EMPLOYEE

The next step is for HR to notify the employee in writing that his or her requested accommodation has been approved or denied. If the request is denied, the employer should communicate and document any available alternative accommodations.

HR must maintain all copies of accommodation requests, supporting information and documentation, including denials, in a file separate from the employee personnel file, consistent with the confidentiality requirements of the ADA and to protect sensitive religious preference information.

Managers and supervisors must understand that it is unlawful to disclose that an employee is receiving a reasonable accommodation or to retaliate against an employee for requesting an accommodation.

STEP 9: REVIEW AND MODIFY

The accommodation process is not set in stone and may need to be reviewed, especially if an employee's circumstances change or the needs of the business change.

How to Handle an Employee's Request for a Medical or Religious Accommodation to a Vaccine Requirement

wrongful termination lawsuit based on a doctor's note that I am not a good candidate for the vaccine and there are major risk factors for my specific case. The risk outweighs the benefits of the vaccine for me

Exactly how will the vaccine be detrimental to your health? If you aren't willing to discuss your medical condition here then I suggest you discuss it with your doctor.

You will need more than just "a note." You will need your doctor to explain your condition and explain how the Covid vaccine would be deleterious to your condition and not just speculation.

"Please excuse Johnny from gym today, he has a cold" is not going to cut it.

I'm having trouble imagining what medical conditions there are that would reasonably exempt you from the vaccine. Explain it to me if you can. It's adverse medical conditions that make you more vulnerable to the disease and potentially death.

You also need to understand that courts at the appellate level are already upholding vaccination mandates. I have read of 4 already, including one that was upheld because a US Supreme Court judge refused to allow review. There may be more cases that I don't know about and it's only a matter of time before unemployment appeals courts weigh in on whether refusal and subsequent termination makes one ineligible for unemployment compensation.

There is already significant precedent for upholding the mandates. In Jacobsen v. Massachusetts (1905) the US Supreme Court ruled against a man who had refused a Smallpox vaccination.

U.S. Reports: Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905). (loc.gov)

Interestingly enough, I found 3 appellate decisions (one in Michigan and two in South Carolina) where prisoners applied for compassionate early release because they feared that their serious medical conditions would make them vulnerable to Covid. Yet each of them refused the Covid vaccine. Because of that refusal their denial of release was upheld.

United States v. Kennedy, Dist. Court, ED Michigan 2021 - Google Scholar

United States v. Cunningham, Dist. Court, D. South Carolina 2021 - Google Scholar

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?
case=17200945876189398898&q=refuse+covid+vaccine&hl=en&as_sdt=806

What if somebody calls out sick before this deadline and gets a doctor's note that getting the vaccine at this point will be detrimental to one's health

So what you really are asking is what will your employer do should you fake getting sick and somehow get a doctor to sign off a note that says getting a vaccination right now would be detrimental to your health, right? Well, only your employer can answer that. But my bet is that at best all that will do is buy you a few weeks time before you have to be vaccinated or get canned. If you are truly unwilling to vaccinate, they will get you out one way or the other.

Considering that the vaccines used in the US have proven to be pretty effective with few (fairly mild) or no side effects for all but a very, very small percentage of people, why are you resisting getting vaccinated? That vaccine not only protects you, but your co-workers and any patients you come into contact with. That's why the employer wants you to get it. And you can bet that pretty much every other health care facility will also demand that. So if you like being the healthcare field, you may need to resign yourself to the fact that the vaccine is a requirement for most every job out there.

In the end it's your choice whether to get it. But is all the trouble you're getting for not taking the shot really worth it to you?

Wrongful termination is an often misunderstood term. In the US in all but one state (and that state is not New York) an employer does not need good cause to fire you. Instead, an employer may fire you for any reason at all except for a few reasons expressly prohibited by law. The prohibited reasons include firing you because:
  • of your race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, etc) national origin, citizenship, age, disability, or genetic test information under federal law (some states/localities add a few more categories like marital status, veteran status, etc);
  • you make certain kinds of reports about the employer to the government or in limited circumstances to specified persons in the employing company itself (known as whistle-blower protection laws);
  • you participate in union organizing activities;
  • you use a right or benefit the law guarantees you (e.g. using leave under FMLA);
  • you filed a bankruptcy petition;
  • your pay was garnished by a single creditor; and
  • you took time off work to attend jury duty (in most states).
The exact list of prohibited reasons will vary by state. A wrongful termination is a termination based on one of those prohibited reasons.

If your medical condition that makes vaccination a problem for you is not temporary and would qualify as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) then the employer would generally need to offer reasonable accommodation for the disability, if that can be done without an undue hardship on the employer. But here is the catch: under the ADA the employer may still terminate an employee if the disability he/she has poses a risk of harm to others in the work place and that risk cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation. So the employer can point to the increased risk to co-workers and patients by being unvaccinated as its out from the ADA and fire you anyway.

In short, I don't see any wrongful termination lawsuit being successful here based on the ADA. But feel free to consult a local employment law attorney in case NY law would offer you more protection than the ADA does. My quick search of NY law suggests, though, that won't help you any more than the ADA does in this circumstance.

Folks - If I don't get unemployment at this time, can I file again in the future I'll have to prove that I have been looking for a job and not able to get one

Thanks

You can't just wait a few weeks and then try again, if that's what you're asking.

Every state has something that, if you are denied unemployment, you have to accomplish before you can try again to open a claim. It takes more than just proving you've been looking for a job. Usually it's "work x number of weeks" or "earn $xxx.xx". When you have accomplished that, you can try again.

You can always appeal the original decision under your state's appeal process but failing that, it's not enough to just wait it out.

I agree and I have to look up all the rules and policies. It just feels very very odd that the very first time in 37 years after putting in perhaps a million dollars into the social security system, I may not be able to make a claim. Completely One Way unfortunately

I agree and I have to look up all the rules and policies. It just feels very very odd that the very first time in 37 years after putting in perhaps a million dollars into the social security system, I may not be able to make a claim. Completely One Way unfortunately

If you've been paying, on average, $27K/yr in FICA, then you should have sufficient assets to make an initial consult with a lawyer a no brainer.

Question: What does Social Security (FICA) have to do with whether or not you qualify for unemployment compensation?

Answer: Nothing. So why bring it up?

You don't pay anything into the NY unemployment compensation system, the employer does.

Two things about this. First, Social Security has nothing to do with unemployment compensation. They are two completely different systems. Employees pay nothing out of their pay for unemployment compensation. That's entirely paid for by a tax on employers.

Second, you've not paid in a million dollars into Social Security the past 37 years. That's impossible. There is an annual cap on the amount of wages subject to the Social Security tax. In 1984 — 37 years ago — that cap was $37,800. It has gone up a bit every year since then, with the 2021 cap being $142,800. You can see the full chart of the caps on the SSA web site here: Contribution and Benefit Base

If you earned at least the cap amount every year (which would mean you've made a higher income than most Americans) then in the last 37 years you've earned at least $3,323,200 in wages. Your Social Security tax on those earnings is 6.2%, which means you'd have paid at most in Social Security taxes $200,396.40. That's an average of $5,416.12 in Social Security taxes every year, again assuming you were making enough every single year to at least hit the cap. That $200K you paid out is a significant amount of money to be sure, but not anywhere close to $1 million.

The Social Security system has nothing to do with unemployment.

Guys - I am going to get in touch with local employment law attorneys but wanted to ask here what are my chances of making a case out of this. I posted earlier where my employer mandated this. Oct 15 was my last day at work as they didn't accept my religious exemption. However, they accepted many others, some who had the exact same justification I had sent in. Also, snhould I get in touch with an attorney to help mem out or simply first file a case with the equal opportunity commission? Thanks

Guys - I am going to get in touch with local employment law attorneys but wanted to ask here what are my chances of making a case out of this. I posted earlier where my employer mandated this. Oct 15 was my last day at work as they didn't accept my religious exemption. However, they accepted many others, some who had the exact same justification I had sent in. Also, snhould I get in touch with an attorney to help mem out or simply first file a case with the equal opportunity commission? Thanks
Post 18 you said you needed a medical exemption.

I've seen it but don't have documentation. But, can't an attorney or the equal opportunity commission ask my ex-employer to provide data on this person and their filings

I'll go Just Blue on better.

Name your religion.

Name that religion's tenets that prohibit you from getting a Covid vaccine, or any vaccine for that matter.

I want to see you stand up for your beliefs as you apparently couldn't convince your employer.

When you got vaccinated as a child, your parents apparently didn't object on religious grounds. Don't they practice the same religion that you do?

Back