moving closer to husbands job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seffysmiles

My ex husband and I live roughly an hour away from each other. My husband got a really nice job but further away. Currently we do drop offs on friday and he drops off on sunday. I have full legal and physical custody. We are NOT moving out of the state, but would like to know how far we can move closer to my husbands job for gas and school purposes, before I will get stuck with all pick up and drop offs. The move we are talking about would take the trip from 1 hr. to 1 and 1/2 hrs. Although it would be safer since we don't have to take any back roads and all interstate. Would this move pose a problem? Thanks for any input.

Your move will be dictated by your custody order.
Your order shoukd state a county, mileage or some other limit.

If it doesn't, and you move, you'll end up bearing ALL the costs, if your "ex" fights you in court.

I suggest you reach an agreement.

Most people in your position offer to pick up the costs associated with such a move.

If you can't agree, a judge will decide just what I said above!!!

Another 30 minutes should not be a problem BUT as army said read the court order first. Hopefully you and your ex will be able to come to an agreement without having a judge decide it for you. Good luck.

The order doesn't state anything about miles. I was told the first time we went to court that I have to stay within the state or within a distance that wouldn't interupt parenting time. This won't.

If the other parent does not want to drive the extra 30 minutes, perhaps you can offer to meet at a public location for your pick ups in the same area you live now. Then it doesn't change anything for him, such as adding an hour total to his trip returning the child. That is also better than you footing the bill for all of the transportation if he agrees to such.

The order doesn't state anything about miles. I was told the first time we went to court that I have to stay within the state or within a distance that wouldn't interupt parenting time. This won't.

Actually...It will. You should have the burden of all extra traveling time.

Agree to meet Dad at the previous pick up/drop off point.

At first I was footing the drive most of the way all the time for safety reasons. He was threatening me, so was his wife. The judge ordered him last year to split the drive evenly. I was responsible for drop off to his home, he is responsible for bringing them back home. The judge told him parenting time INCLUDED travel. He said road trips with kids is just a part of being a parent. I just wanted to know if it would cause a stir. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back