Mental Health #11 - A New Beginning

So, has anybody here driven Route 66? If so, are there any "must see" highlights you can recommend?

Yes, as kid mom and dad would often venture down US 66.
It no longer exists, but some of the landmarks still do.
Today US 66 is accessed off of Interstates and state roads.

This YouTuber has some great info:
The Ultimate Route 66 Road Trip | Roadtrippers
Another great list of sites:
Route 66 Attractions state by state
The sites I enjoyed (and still do) are:
U-Drop Inn Cafe in Shamrock, TX
Palo Duro Canyon State Park, costs five bucks to enter, and has amazing scnery.
Its near Amarillo, TX, in Palo Duro, TX

Speaking of Amarillo, my wife's hometown you gotta see
Big Tex (near Rte 66)
Buried Cadillac Ranch
Still existing RTE 66 (6th St district in Amarillo)

NM has San Miguel Mission in Santa Fe
Tucumcari has Blue Swallow Motel

Nothing is worth avoiding, as there's just so much to see, do, and lots of good eats along the way.

Thanks for the info! We are going on a 3-week road trip starting next week and we've both always thought it would be fun to drive that route but neither of us ever has before.

Until about a year ago, my sister lived in Amarillo so we are definitely going to look for all the fun stuff there.

We want to stay, and eat, at "mom & pop" type places as much as possible. There's no way I'm going to take a trip like this and end up staying at the same old chain hotels you can find everywhere or eating fast food all the time!

I've developed a love for all things 40's - 60's vintage since we bought our house that still has a lot of older features & fixtures (including the kitchen stove, which was new in 1955) and from everything I've seen and heard, there should be a lot of that sort of thing to see along the "mother road", so I'm very excited!

Thanks for the info! We are going on a 3-week road trip starting next week and we've both always thought it would be fun to drive that route but neither of us ever has before.

Until about a year ago, my sister lived in Amarillo so we are definitely going to look for all the fun stuff there.

We want to stay, and eat, at "mom & pop" type places as much as possible. There's no way I'm going to take a trip like this and end up staying at the same old chain hotels you can find everywhere or eating fast food all the time!

I've developed a love for all things 40's - 60's vintage since we bought our house that still has a lot of older features & fixtures (including the kitchen stove, which was new in 1955) and from everything I've seen and heard, there should be a lot of that sort of thing to see along the "mother road", so I'm very excited!

There's very little along that route that doesn't celebrate the original US 66.

That said, you gotta play the song a few times as you drive down that highway.

LOL

Asleep at the Wheel did my favorite C/W version:
route 66 song - Bing video
From the '60s TV show:
Route 66 Theme Song - Bing video
My dad's favorite version:
Route 66 Chuck Berry - Bing video

Oh, yeah, I've been humming that song ever since we made the decision to do this trip.

My husband is a big Chuck Berry fan so I'll have to see if I can download his version of it for our road trip playlist!

Oh, yeah, I've been humming that song ever since we made the decision to do this trip.

My husband is a big Chuck Berry fan so I'll have to see if I can download his version of it for our road trip playlist!

Me too, humming the Route 66 song.
My mother played Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra singing that song on 78s and 33s, waaaay back in the day. :)

I'll always cherish our family vacations piled into the car going to visit my grandmother from Michigan way down on the Gulf near Pt. Arthur, TX.

You guys have fun, because I know it'll be a great trip.
There's just so much history along that route, and some of it hasn't been changed in over 50 years!!!!

Thanks for that link, cbg!

I've never even heard of the Fred Harvey restaurant chain but we're definitely going to be looking for the Harvey House Railroad Depot as one of the spots to visit!

Not terribly accurate historically but cute movie. I love Judy Garland. I've got a couple books about it, too.

Well my brother got his ruling from DOL that he was wrongfully terminated. The employer has made a low ball settlement offer. If they don't accept his counter then he gets to sue.

Well my brother got his ruling from DOL that he was wrongfully terminated. The employer has made a low ball settlement offer. If they don't accept his counter then he gets to sue.

Well, well, well, congratulations are in order.
I wish him well, and hope his health is eventually restored.

That face you make when an entire thread of people gives a poster good advice that they have a serious legal exposure, and they come back and just say they know better and it's all fine. :mad:

My favorite was some years back, when an entire thread of people attempted to convince the poster that she had nothing resembling a claim that would interest the EEOC. She came back later and informed us that not only had the EEOC filed suit on her behalf, but that she had been awarded many thousand dollars in damages.

Time between the first thread and the second - three weeks.

Back