Is this harassment or what? What should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noideawhat

Ok, well there is this girl that I have been with for 8 months, her little sister absolutely hates me with a passion. Because i'm not christian, so me and my girlfriend get into a lot of fights, and a lot of vulgar cusswords are said, but still that is an issue between with me and her (nothing bad, we make up in like an hour), but her little sister hates me. So my girlfriend went out to this place called the sand dunes, where a lot of people go out to party, but they went out there and there with some guys that were getting drunk. Well, the cops came and talked to them, its against the law to drink in the sand dunes, so my girlfriend lied to the cop saying nobody is drinking (she wasnt drunk though, so the cop let them go. But I yelled at her for putting herself in stupid situations like that, well we ended up breaking up.

Heres my problem,
Her little sister ends up calling me, but it was actually one of the guys at the sand dunes she was with. He said if I ever talked crap about her little sister again he will beat me up (the little sister in the background was in the background screaming "fag, "bitch", so on), but here is where it got serious though. The guy starts threatening me saying he has a 9mm and he is going to shoot me, and that I might aswell kill myself before he gets to me. My ex-girlfriend was screaming in the background "he never talks crap about her, shut up and get off the phone". The little sister basically lied to this guy saying I talk shit about her, which I never do. She talks shit to me anytime she gets a chance. On top of it, their cousin threatened me to, saying "you need to watch your back, im going to get you beat up (and a lot more crap)". And the other day me and my -exgirlfriend were at this park, my ex-girlfriends litte sister, the cousin, and one of there friends drove up behind my car and blocked me in, they were screaming theyre going to get me beat up, the little sister tried opening up my door but it was locked.

What should I do?

Laws on such threats vary by state. Whether it was merely an annoying phone call or a credible criminal threat will depend on the laws of your un-named state, and whether or not you are truly in fear for your safety. If you are NOT in fear for your safety, then this not likely that serious an offense and you can either report or not, as you choose.

If you are in fear for your life, then you need to call the police and report this ASAP.

If you want to report being blocked in and threatened, call the police for that incident.

It depends on what you want to do. Chances are no one will go to jail over this unless it actually goes from words to blows or the display or use of weapons.

You can also go to court and seek a restraining order against the little sister and her friend(s) should your state permit it.

It really just depends on how big an issue you truly believe this has become or will become. It all seems rather juvenile to me. But, such juvenile activity can land people in the hospital.

- Carl

I live in Washington State, sorry for not stating that earlier. And yeah it is all pretty much juvenile drama, but the guy that said he is going to shoot me is in his 20's. The town i'm from has a lot of shootings. And the sad thing about this thing is everybody is over 18 years old.

Last edited:
The next question is: Do you take the threat to be credible? Are you in fear for your life from this guy? And, if so, what steps are you taking to protect yourself?

If the threat happened a long time ago, the issue of your fear will be in serious question. When combined with you being blocked in and confronted by the guy a day or two ago might play in your favor.

If you feel that this is an issue you want to pursue criminal charges over, then you need to report it to the police ASAP. The longer you wait, the less serious they will take it.

- Carl

Talk to the police officer. If you think it would help, contact a therapist. Note changes you may have, appetite, insomnia, etc.

It's not used enough, but you can sue in civil court for "Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress."

Is it a credible threat? I would think it is. He's being specific. There's incidences of violence in your town. He has motive (the girl).

His claim that he has a 9mm, if it isn't licensed, may be enough for a search warrant.

Tell the officer you want a restraining order.

Do take this seriously. People are getting killed for stupid to no reason at all.

Is it a credible threat? I would think it is. He's being specific. There's incidences of violence in your town. He has motive (the girl).
In many states - such as mine - to be credible, the suspect not only has to have the apparent ability to act on the threat, but he has to have the apparent intent to act upon it in short order ... AND the victim must BELIEVE that the suspect intends to carry it out. Lacking that belief, there may be no crime.

His claim that he has a 9mm, if it isn't licensed, may be enough for a search warrant.
By itself? In my state it probably wouldn't. The police would almost certainly need some form of corroboration that the gun existed, AND they would need a crime. If this is not deemed to be a criminal threat, no search warrant could issue.

Tell the officer you want a restraining order.
The police do not issue restraining orders. He would have to go to court for that. In some states the police might be able to obtain a very short term protective order, but those that I am aware of involve domestic violence relationships.

Do take this seriously. People are getting killed for stupid to no reason at all.
I agree. Given the July 4th incident of being blocked in and harassed, I would at least contact the police and explore my options.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back