Fraud Consultant Threatening Collection/Civil Action

caribou112

Jurisdiction
New York
I entered into a consulting agreement and two weeks later, terminated the agreement after I realized that consulting services were not as promised. I disputed validity of charges and this consultant's "in house counsel" who is his son sent me a notice that he "had been retained...to pursue collection, and if necessary, civil action against you under theories of breach of contract, account stated, unjust enrichment, and theft of services."

The amount owed from final invoice was $1600 and on first notice the attorney (son of consultant) tacked on $500 in legal fees and costs. Complete racket that these two are running to strong arm me into paying for "consulting services" that were completely useless. How would you proceed here?

I would ignore them unless or until they sue you. If they do sue, you answer the complaint Pro Se or you get an attorney. The numbers are small so it is not likely you will get sued.

You can also counter claim that they breached the contract.

I entered into a consulting agreement and two weeks later, terminated the agreement after I realized that consulting services were not as promised. I disputed validity of charges and this consultant's "in house counsel" who is his son sent me a notice that he "had been retained...to pursue collection, and if necessary, civil action against you under theories of breach of contract, account stated, unjust enrichment, and theft of services."

The amount owed from final invoice was $1600 and on first notice the attorney (son of consultant) tacked on $500 in legal fees and costs. Complete racket that these two are running to strong arm me into paying for "consulting services" that were completely useless. How would you proceed here?
Did you follow the contract requirements for termination?

Fraud Consultant Threatening Collection/Civil Action

I have never heard of a fraud consultant. What exactly does that mean?

How would you proceed here?

Depends on what the contract says and on the relevant facts. All you've told us is that you "terminated the agreement [because the] consulting services [allegedly] were not as promised." What exactly does that mean? What did this "fraud consultant" promise do or not do that was inconsistent with what was promised in the contract? What does the contract say about termination and your liability for services rendered prior to termination?

Back