Ebay Slander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerdwyn

Hello,

I recently concluded dealing with a seller via eBay. The seller sold me a collector's item that did not have its title document (something it should have had). It turns out that the item in question is still in arrears and money is owed to the original maker... that is why the certificate of authenticity was never released. According to the maker, the seller owes them the money and should he pay his debt they will release the certificate. He has no plans on doing that - he doesn't even feel the debt is his, but instead his ex-wife's despite that he is listed as the Sold To party.

So, at any rate, I left him a negative feedback on eBay stating the item was misrepresented and a lien exists on it and other buyers should beware. He replied and stated I was a "high maintenance buyer" and "made assumptions." I replied in turn and stated the seller lied by omission and sold the item to escape his debt to the original maker.

Now, he is threatening that I slandered him and put a bad mark on his business on eBay. Considering how he does business, the bad mark is well deserved! But regardless... does he have a leg to stand on? All my feedback was truthful according to what I have received from the original maker AND this guy's original invoice marking him as the Sold To and Ship To party.

I find it rather humorous that someone like this would screw me over and then have the nerve to say I slandered him. What about him selling an item without its title? I guess it's fine to screw me over but the minute I give a little back to him.....

As long as you only posted truthful things he has no case against you. Defamation (libel or slander) is when someone knowingly tells lies about you that can ruin your reputation.

Anyway, if he is not even able to pay his debts it is very doubtful that he would have the means to bring any legal action against you. On the contrary, the only one who might have grounds for legal action here is you.

So don't worry about him and always remember, on ebay it is "Buyer beware!"

Yeah... this guy is fooling himself if he thinks he's in the right. Selling an item that is not only in arrears but is also without its title document is a major no-no. Of course, he thinks there's nothing wrong with that, just as he thinks there was nothing wrong with not telling me the item has a lien on it, and conveniently skirting around the issue of the title when I brought it up (instead he handed me a few paragraphs of fanciful waxing about the item in hopes of misleading me - and it worked). He's lucky all he got was some angry feedback and not a lawsuit AND a criminal investigation placed against him.

I swear, the people these days... didn't their mothers teach them better? No respect for their fellow man. Lie, cheat, steal... do whatever to get someone's money. The human race is circling the drain.

Originally posted by Caerdwyn
Hello,

I recently concluded dealing with a seller via eBay. The seller sold me a collector's item that did not have its title document (something it should have had). It turns out that the item in question is still in arrears and money is owed to the original maker... that is why the certificate of authenticity was never released. According to the maker, the seller owes them the money and should he pay his debt they will release the certificate. He has no plans on doing that - he doesn't even feel the debt is his, but instead his ex-wife's despite that he is listed as the Sold To party.

So, at any rate, I left him a negative feedback on eBay stating the item was misrepresented and a lien exists on it and other buyers should beware. He replied and stated I was a "high maintenance buyer" and "made assumptions." I replied in turn and stated the seller lied by omission and sold the item to escape his debt to the original maker.

Now, he is threatening that I slandered him and put a bad mark on his business on eBay. Considering how he does business, the bad mark is well deserved! But regardless... does he have a leg to stand on? All my feedback was truthful according to what I have received from the original maker AND this guy's original invoice marking him as the Sold To and Ship To party.

I find it rather humorous that someone like this would screw me over and then have the nerve to say I slandered him. What about him selling an item without its title? I guess it's fine to screw me over but the minute I give a little back to him.....

It seems like NYCLEX has hit the nail on the head. There is a saying that "truth is the ultimate defense to defamation" and it is with regard to that charge since it requires a false statement by definition. There are some states that have casting in a false light statutes but they are few and far between and it seems that negative remarks are either not prosecutable (way of life and opinion) or if they are prosecutable they are prohibitive to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back