Divorce Process

Rocky0423

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I live in South Jersey, have been married over 25 years, have 2 children in college and need advice on how I can file for divorce. We own a home, I have worked and am retired. We live in the same house however have not been a couple for over 10 years. I recently found out that my wife has been withdrawing my pension monthly without my knowledge. She has numerous credit cards that were opened without my knowledge that are now in collections. She has written checks from our joint account, an account where I am unable to access and when I found this out I opened my own account and the bank charged me $760 for her checks written due to insufficient funds. I have no idea what she has done with all the money I gave her to pay bills that were never paid. She restricts my cell phone and since I am not the account manager I am told that Verizon cannot help me. So, my question is, is there anyway I can get free or reduced legal help to start divorce if the only asset I have is our home, which she has mortgaged also without my knowledge. I know I let this happen because she handled all the bills, however at this time the situation and verbal abuse has to end. Can anyone help or advise me please? I've spoken to lawyers and they all wanted at least $5000.00 which obviously I do not have. Thanks in advance for any help!

Can anyone help or advise me please? I've spoken to lawyers and they all wanted at least $5000.00 which obviously I do not have. Thanks in advance for any help!

Keep looking for a lawyer. Depending on the complexities of the divorce, there are attorneys who will do it for a flat fee. Don't look to large law firms. Local small town law firms are your best bet.

Back