Denied promotion for not working Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

naynay

I work at a company with about 1000 employees. We are a call center and work shifts.

Recently I posted for a team manager position, that I was qualified for and would have gotten. I was told I needed to be 100% flexable and asked if I was. I said yes I was except for sundown friday night to sundown Saturday nights for religious reasons. I was aware that would limit my options. The person doing the interview for the promotion then said that the newer managers are often moved around alot and that would disqualify me.

There are shifts that do not work during those hours and the ones that do work during those hours would only require a small modifacation to allow me to work them.

Is this discrimination? Any feedback would help. Thank you.

There is no discrimination here. The requirements for the position were clearly posted and you knew ahead of time that they would go against your religious beliefs. The fact that you applied for the position and you were not given consideration does not mean that you were discriminated.

Actually no one said before hand that it was a requirement, infact as i mentioned there are two shifts that do not require work on my sabbath. So, even though there is openings that would not require me to work on my sabbath and they still said it would disqualify me. That is still not discrimination?

Oh, that was during the interview. So the employer doesn't have to make reasonable accomadation for religious practices?

It keeps getting worse

Now they are saying the only way I can have the promotion would be if I sleep with the boss. Is that harassment?

there are two shifts that do not require work on my sabbath. So, even though there is openings that would not require me to work on my sabbath and they still said it would disqualify me. That is still not discrimination?
Are you saying that other team managers are not required to be "100% flexible"? Or just that if you received special treatment by getting exclusive use of the shifts that accommodate your religious restrictions, you wouldn't have to be 100% flexible like everyone else who has that position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back