Youth Football Injury From Ineligible Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoayouthsports

Jurisdiction
New York
I'm wondering if I would have a case to recoup cost of medical bills, time away from work, and pain+suffering due to a concussion sustained by my son at a youth football game (11u). The opposing team was found out to have multiple players with altered birth certificates (players that were older than 11 and should have been in the 13u division). In fact my sons team finished that game with 2 players suffering concussions from hits delivered by an illegal player from the opposing team (this is captured on game film). The altered birth certificate issue was brought to the attention of the entire league at the end of the season and rightfully so this team with ilegal players had all of their wins changed to forfeit losses and the organization was thrown out of the league. Back to my son, the concussion he suffered was severe enough to cause him to miss the next two weeks of practices and games. He also missed over a week of school. Thankfully the teachers were lenient with his school work so his grades didn't really suffer. However, I did incur a not insignificant amount of medical bills from doctors visits and consultations and I also had to take time off of work to attend to him, not to mention my sons physical (and mental) pain and suffering.

If you wish to have a free case evaluation, you should visit with at least three civil litigation attorneys in your area.

You'll come away from those meetings with a better understanding of your legal position.

I'm wondering if I would have a case to recoup cost of medical bills, time away from work, and pain+suffering due to a concussion sustained by my son at a youth football game (11u). The opposing team was found out to have multiple players with altered birth certificates (players that were older than 11 and should have been in the 13u division). In fact my sons team finished that game with 2 players suffering concussions from hits delivered by an illegal player from the opposing team (this is captured on game film). The altered birth certificate issue was brought to the attention of the entire league at the end of the season and rightfully so this team with ilegal players had all of their wins changed to forfeit losses and the organization was thrown out of the league. Back to my son, the concussion he suffered was severe enough to cause him to miss the next two weeks of practices and games. He also missed over a week of school. Thankfully the teachers were lenient with his school work so his grades didn't really suffer. However, I did incur a not insignificant amount of medical bills from doctors visits and consultations and I also had to take time off of work to attend to him, not to mention my sons physical (and mental) pain and suffering.

Take your records to a personal injury attorney for a consult.
IMO concussions are a known and predictable result of playing football.

I agree that you should consult a couple of attorneys but, when you do, keep the following issues in mind so as not to be too disappointed with the results.

1 - Football is a dangerous sport. Assumption of risk is a defense to an allegation of negligence.

2 - You probably signed a waiver to get your son into the game. How well that holds up is anybody's guess.

3 - You wrote:

The altered birth certificate issue was brought to the attention of the entire league at the end of the season and rightfully so this team with illegal players had all of their wins changed to forfeit losses and the organization was thrown out of the league.

Note the emphasis. If the league had no knowledge of the altered birth certificates until the season was over, then the league has no negligence in the matter. That leaves you with:

4 - The organization. You would have to show that the organization was complicit in allowing the altered birth certificates. If you can't prove that:

5 - The team. You would have to show that the team conspired to produce altered birth certificates. If you can't prove that:

6 - The player who caused the injury. You'd be suing a young teenager (and maybe his parents if they were complicit) and you would have to show that but for the presence of an illegal player, your son would not have sustained injuries playing football. The issue there is that he could just as easily have gotten a concussion by being hit by a player his own age and size.

Your time off work is not compensable no matter what.

As for the rest, whom do you want to sue? Who created the fake birth certificates?

Regardless of whom you sue, you will have to prove that the concussions wouldn't have happened had the players been of the proper age. I doubt you can do that. Why? Because concussions are part and parcel of football. Concussions can happen no matter what the relative ages of the players are.

That said, feel free to consult with a local personal injury attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back