Work Environment Mismanaged and morale low

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffernandez

I work at a public agency and I feel that it is mismanaged. I hold a senior position and I have almost 22 years technical with supervisor experience, but the manager who is male seem to give more responsibilities and power to the lower position coworkers which are females. the manager shares more information with them than his senior staff who are males. Now there is animosity among the office staff. The morale is low and there seem to be a lot of gossip and bashing that are coming from the lower female staff against the senior male staff. I feel that I've been passed up in promotion and the 2 female staff have been promoted twice already and they are getting ready to fill a more senior role. This affects me negatively and I don't feel well because I think about what I am doing wrong or how I can file a grievance. I would like to fix this but I would like to approach it in a professional and correct way and then provide a solution. what can I do to remedy this type of hostile environment.

This is NOT a hostile work environment.

You can share your feelings with your HR department, and you can also find a job somewhere else. Please bear in mind that you're not legally entitled to a promotion - not at all.

There's a very fine line distinction to be made here.

If the lower level employees are being treated more favorably (and as a result, you less favorably), BECAUSE they are female and you are male, that is illegal. But if it's because they are lower level employees who can be micro-managed, or paid less, or alternately because you need to be paid more or given more authority, that is legal.

Agree with cbg. You can't be treated differently/discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law & gender is one reason (*if* that is the case here).

Please explain further about "hostile environment". Does this term only define physical harm or can it also mean mental harm? I feel that the whole work place is not trustful because the two women complain to the manager every time they don't get their way or if a certain supervisor did not agree with them. I try not to get caught up in the bickering but I hear from my other coworkers that the two women talk about me in a bad way. I haven't comforted them yet because I am trying to find the best way to approach this. When I over think the situation of what's going on, I feel a little irritated, mad, and then I get depressed and I second guest my abilities. I've been in the military for 11 years and this civilian job is a little to nerve wrecking.

I feel that the two female employees are given responsibilities to promote growth but I haven't been given a chance to lead any projects. I am a Sr Analyst and both the female employees have been promoted 2 positions in the last 7 years and now they both are the same or close to my position. If a manger tells both of them that he doesn't like me, is that a ground for grievance.

ok. I found what I was looking for: Workplace incivility
sending a nasty and demeaning note (hate mail)
talking about someone behind his or her back
emotional put-downs
Disrespecting workers by comments, gestures or proven behaviors (hostility) based on characteristics such as their race, religion, gender, etc. This is considered workplace discrimination.
making accusations about professional competence
undermining credibility in front of others
overruling decisions without giving a reason
disrupting meetings
giving public reprimands
giving the silent treatment
not giving credit where credit is due
giving dirty looks or other negative eye contact (i.e. "hawk eyes" considered to be threatening in the culture of the United States)
insulting others
Other overt forms of incivility might include emotional tirades and losing one's temper.[6]

emotional put-downs
Disrespecting workers by comments, gestures or proven behaviors (hostility) based on characteristics such as their race, religion, gender, etc. This is considered workplace discrimination.
disrupting meetings
giving public reprimands
giving dirty looks or other negative eye contact (i.e. "hawk eyes" considered to be threatening in the culture of the United States)
insulting others
Other overt forms of incivility might include emotional tirades and losing one's temper.[6]

Yeah, none of that is illegal.

By the way, you can also look for a better, happier, work environment.

You aren't a slave, or an indentured serf.

Nasty does not equate to hate mail.

Not illegal. If anything, it's to be expected in the grown-up world.

emotional put-downs

Not illegal.

Prove that it's happening PURELY because of a certain characteristic.

Not illegal.

disrupting meetings
giving public reprimands

None of 'em are illegal.

None of these are illegal, either.

insulting others

Not. Illegal.

Seriously? It sounds as if you're actually trying to throw everything at the wall to see if something will stick.

Afterthought:

The company has absolutely no obligation to make work a nice place for you, or to make other employees treat you with respect.

I'm concerned though, because what I am seeing is an employee who might be seen as being a trouble-maker. That may well be the reason why you have been passed over for promotions and the like.

so my question is: When does all these workplace incivility and bullying become illegal?

When, and only when, it is based on your membership (or lack of membership) in a characteristic protected by law. If it is not BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, or age (over 40 only), or BECAUSE OF a characteristic protected by state or local law, then it never becomes illegal.

Nasty does not equate to hate mail.

Not illegal. If anything, it's to be expected in the grown-up world.

Not illegal.

Prove that it's happening PURELY because of a certain characteristic.

Not illegal.

None of 'em are illegal.

None of these are illegal, either.

Not. Illegal.

Seriously? It sounds as if you're actually trying to throw everything at the wall to see if something will stick.

Yes. It has come down to trying to make something stick.

...any means possible to make my work environment better for me and the next person that comes into this type of bullying...

You're missing the point. Completely.

So the blame is on me? I'm not the only one who thinks this in the office. There are 5 other people that agree with me. They all are affected the same way. That's the reason why I started this forum to sought out a way to fix this.

What is your point???

You are not legally entitled to a happy workplace. There is no law requiring your employer to stop gossip. No law requiring your employer to follow your suggestions. No law requiring everyone to be polite and friendly.

You admit that you're just looking for something to stick. Doesn't that indicate that you know you have nothing but are trying anyway?

The two women you complain of being favored are still in lower level positions than you. You and they are not similarly situated. Promoting you into their jobs would not be possible as you are already in a more senior role. It is not for you to decide which lower level employees should and should not be promoted. It just isn't. If you feel that on your own merit you deserve a promotion, talk to your supervisor about what you need to do in order to obtain one. Do not compare yourself to others. Do not blame anyone for it not happening. Focus solely on the value you bring to the organization.

There is no general civility code with regards to employment. Gossip, unpleasant tones, and the other behavior you describe is not illegal even though it may make for an unhappy workplace. Your choices are to deal with it, or seek employment elsewhere. Legally, that is all that is available to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back