What type of legal issue do I pursue?

russharv63

I hired a hearing and appeals representative from the state of Pennsylvania. They have been doing unemployment appeals for over twenty years. My wife and I live in Virginia. They advertise on the internet that they do unemployment appeals in 23 states including Virginia. I communicated with them via email only. They charged me $400.00 to appeal my wife's Virginia "decision of the appeals examiner." The hearing representative appealed the "decision of the appeals examiner." She said she was going to get the "transcripts" and write a "written argument" for the appeal. She never got the "transcripts" and did not write a "written argument." The reason she did not do these two things is because she did not follow the correct regulation in Virginia for getting the "transcripts" and without them she could not write a " written argument." The regulation in Virginia is that you have to ask a hearing so you can get the "transcripts" within 14 days from the mailing of the "notice of appeal." She did not ask for a hearing. My wife lost the appeal. In the decision they mentioned the regulation and said they never got a "written argument." The hearing representative said she was sorry my wife lost and would refund $200.00 of the $400.00 that I paid them. My question is what type of legal issue is this matter? Is it more than one legal issue? I need to present this to a lawyer but don't what type of lawyer to see. Since the business is in Pennsylvania and my wife and I live in Virginia do I need to get a lawyer from that state or should I use a Virginia lawyer?

I hired a hearing and appeals representative from the state of Pennsylvania. They have been doing unemployment appeals for over twenty years. My wife and I live in Virginia. They advertise on the internet that they do unemployment appeals in 23 states including Virginia. I communicated with them via email only. They charged me $400.00 to appeal my wife's Virginia "decision of the appeals examiner." The hearing representative appealed the "decision of the appeals examiner." She said she was going to get the "transcripts" and write a "written argument" for the appeal. She never got the "transcripts" and did not write a "written argument." The reason she did not do these two things is because she did not follow the correct regulation in Virginia for getting the "transcripts" and without them she could not write a " written argument." The regulation in Virginia is that you have to ask a hearing so you can get the "transcripts" within 14 days from the mailing of the "notice of appeal." She did not ask for a hearing. My wife lost the appeal. In the decision they mentioned the regulation and said they never got a "written argument." The hearing representative said she was sorry my wife lost and would refund $200.00 of the $400.00 that I paid them. My question is what type of legal issue is this matter? Is it more than one legal issue? I need to present this to a lawyer but don't what type of lawyer to see. Since the business is in Pennsylvania and my wife and I live in Virginia do I need to get a lawyer from that state or should I use a Virginia lawyer?

Sorry, poster, you got snookered.
The issue is you were conned out of $400.
You can discuss the matter with most any lawyer and you can even meet with most lawyers the first time for free.
The bad news is that you have no where to go.
You'd have to sue these crooks in PA, not VA.
It'll cost you far more than $400, to pursue this.
This is the internet, and a word of caution is needed: Don't pay unknown people for anything over the internet.
I hope your wife obtains new employment by spring. Good luck.

Back