What information are you legally entitled to with joint physical/legal custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcrisis53

Here's my situation, I came from an abusive both physically and verbally relationship. Our divorce was final in March and I have a 14 month old son with my ex. We have joint physical/legal custody of our son, and I've recently been finding out that I no longer know where he resides, where he takes my son or who my son is with. He lies to me frequently. I discovered that he moved, but he has yet to tell me, if I bring it up he yells at me and threatens to take my son. We don't have a good line of communication regarding my son, so I really don't know anything when he has him. How much information am I legally obligated to?

Here's my situation, I came from an abusive both physically and verbally relationship. Our divorce was final in March and I have a 14 month old son with my ex. We have joint physical/legal custody of our son, and I've recently been finding out that I no longer know where he resides, where he takes my son or who my son is with. He lies to me frequently. I discovered that he moved, but he has yet to tell me, if I bring it up he yells at me and threatens to take my son. We don't have a good line of communication regarding my son, so I really don't know anything when he has him. How much information am I legally obligated to?

After reading a very...presumptive post you made, regarding one of the most respected members of this forum...I have to ask you:

Are you here seeking the legal realities for your situation or emotional support?

Because the former we may be able to assist you with (although you may not like the answer(s)), but the later you will need to go to www.drphil.com .

bcrisis53 said:

You're entitled to what your divorce decree and custody order says. If it ain't in there, you have no need to know.

As an aside, it isn't your son. You don't own the child. You BOTH share custody of a child.

Do you reveal to your "ex" your every movement and personal contact? Do you tell him everything that happens when the child is with you?

As long as the child is in good health, you're not entitled to know what he does and where he goes when it's his time with the child. Unless, of course, it's in your court orders. Which we know it isn't.

My heart goes out to that precious child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back