Violence in the work space

G

good guy7

Jurisdiction
California
I was physically attacked at work for making an insensitive comment towards another employee. His excuse was that he had had enough of my comments so he decided to fight me. I did not hit him back but simply defended myself and he hurt my knee in the process. He has never mentioned his issue's with me in the past to management so he decided to handle it his own way. All of this is on camera also. After speaking to the owner we were both suspended for 2 days without pay. I'm curious to know if it is acceptable to physically harm another employee because of a disagreement.

Thank you

It is never acceptable to physically harm someone.

However, to answer the question I think you are really asking, No, it was not illegal to suspend you too.

Violence never solves anything.

1 - You file a police report.

2 - You file a workers compensation claim for your injured knee.

3 - You seek employment elsewhere because, after you do 1 and 2, you'll probably be out of a job but won't be able to prove it was due to 1 and 2.

I was physically attacked at work for making an insensitive comment towards another employee. His excuse was that he had had enough of my comments so he decided to fight me. I did not hit him back but simply defended myself and he hurt my knee in the process. He has never mentioned his issue's with me in the past to management so he decided to handle it his own way. All of this is on camera also. After speaking to the owner we were both suspended for 2 days without pay. I'm curious to know if it is acceptable to physically harm another employee because of a disagreement.

Thank you
Did you report this attack to the police? Your boss had every right to suspend both of you. I would have called the cops and reported that guy for attacking me though.

This won't fall under WC given it as your describe. This wasn't a work related dispute, it was a personal one. While violence is not justified, neither are repeated insensitive remarks. Suspending you both was entirely legal.

Back