"Unprofessional act" Termination

L

LMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hello. I made a joke with a co worker that I was good friends with. I left work 1/13, off the clock, after the store closed, and she was walking out and I drove across the parking lot JOKING to hit her. I kept driving. She called my cell phone. I was laughing so hard. She was upset. I apologized. And the next day via text stating I apologized and she accepted it and for me not to mention it again. So I come into work on 1/25 and was called into HR. Had to write a statement. It was turned into the District HR, and it came back as a"unprofessional act" and I was terminated immediately. They would not let me see the video, who turned me in ect. The manager said that I am lucky she doesn't call the cops and press charges. Can she do that? And is there a timeframe she has to do it? Again this was a good friend, I was blind sided.

Hello. I made a joke with a co worker that I was good friends with. I left work 1/13, off the clock, after the store closed, and she was walking out and I drove across the parking lot JOKING to hit her. I kept driving. She called my cell phone. I was laughing so hard. She was upset. I apologized. And the next day via text stating I apologized and she accepted it and for me not to mention it again. So I come into work on 1/25 and was called into HR. Had to write a statement. It was turned into the District HR, and it came back as a"unprofessional act" and I was terminated immediately. They would not let me see the video, who turned me in ect. The manager said that I am lucky she doesn't call the cops and press charges. Can she do that? And is there a timeframe she has to do it? Again this was a good friend, I was blind sided.

Apparently your friendship wasn't as valued to her as it was to
you.

You ratted yourself out.
You could have refused to write a confession.
You can be terminated for no reason, and need not be given a reason for your termination.

All you can do now is seek new employment and/or apply for unemployment.

Are there any charges he can file on me? And if so is there a time frame he has to do so? I don't want to worry about a cop showing up everyday of my life.

Are there any charges he can file on me? And if so is there a time frame he has to do so? I don't want to worry about a cop showing up everyday of my life.

Also they had me on camera. I didn't eat myself. I just said the truth

Also they had me on camera. I didn't eat myself. I just said the truth

It's never in your best interest to give anyone a statement.

The store can't charge you.

Based on what you've recited, I don't see the police taking an interest in this idiocy, unless you're known to the police for committing lots of heinous crimes.

The people asking you to give a statement aren't interested in hearing what you ave to say, except you saying I DID IT, I'M GUILTY!!!

This is why it's never smart to blab.
The only thing dumber than blabbing, is getting yourself involved in stupid things, or criminal things.

I very much doubt that you can be charged with any crime; however, I agree absolutely with the termination. I'd have fired you too. You do not have a right under the law to see any videos or know who reported your "joke", which obviously was not as funny as you thought it was. Apply for unemployment, cross your fingers and hope you get it, and start looking for other work.

With friends like you, who needs enemies? Even if this friend you tormented and laughed at did not report you, any number of other people who saw or heard about it might have. Why do you need to see the video? You were there. You admit it happened. You aren't entitled to see the video footage but there is no need.

The store can not charge you, only the state can do that. The store can fire you and it is entirely legal.

It's not likely you will be charged but if you are, contact a lawyer.

Back