Unemployment Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlsa611

I am a Michigan resident and have been receiving unemployment since October 2009 when my full-time employer laid me off. I started working part-time for a company in May 2010 and was still collecting unemployment. I just received notice in the mail yesterday saying that my part-time employer was contesting the unemployment because I failed to accept a full-time job with them as I did not want to pay for childcare. The UIA is also saying I may be found guilty of committing fraud. First off, I was never offered a full-time job with them. Secondly, shouldn't my previous full-time employer still be responsible for paying on this unemployment claim? I am worried I may lose my current job over this or have to pay the last 7 months of benefits back and I'm not sure what I should do. Why is my part-time employer being charged? Is this an error?

You should be directing these questions to the state unemployment agency.

You are required to report ALL work and earnings while recieving unemployment.

All of this is in their handbook they gave you, on their
website, and buried in the items you agree to each time you file a claim.

Bottom line, if you don't tell them you're working, they find out by tracking your SSN.

You have problems because you failed to report your employment and income, yet you still took their money.

About all you can do at this point is hire a lawyer or make a deal. Some people go to prison for this. All people stop receiving their benefits and end up repaying the state!

Last edited:
Yep, you are supposed to report any and all income. You should contact the UA and see if you can pay it back and do so quickley. If not then you will need an attorney. Hopefully they will let you just pay it back....and you will have to pay it back. good luck.

I apprecaite any input anyone can give me on this. I was under the impression that my current part-time job would not be responsible for paying unemployment, as they are not the company that laid me off. Is this correct?

Last edited:
I did report my earnings when I called in bi-weekly. That's not the issue. the part-time company got notice that they were being charged for my unemployment (not sure why) and they are contesting it saying I turned down full-time work with them, which is not the case. I was not offered a full-time position... only the position at 20hr/week, which I gladly accepted.

No, you are not correct - at least, not necessarily.

Your unemployment benefit is determined by ALL wages from ALL employers during the base period, not just the one who let you go. If you were working for the part time employer during the base period, their account could well be affected.

Depending on your state, they may or may

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back