two years too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

schavonne

I was fired from my city job in April, 2010 for something that occured in July 2008. Is there a statue of limitations in my case?

schavonne said:
I was fired from my city job in April, 2010 for something that occured in July 2008. Is there a statue of limitations in my case?

It all depends on what your was and when the "something" was first discovered.

We need to know what the "something" was, to make the proper call.

If the "something" was murder, it makes no difference. If the "something" was a uniform violation, it makes a difference.

Wait a minute, SoL for what? For firing you, as in, was this a wrongful termination under the law? Almost certainly not.

For unemployment benefits? No SoL either, BUT depending on what you did (or didn't do) may affect whether or not you receive benefits. Without knowing what that "something" was, there is no way we could even hazard a guess.

Yes, OP a SOL only applies to legal action. I don't know of any action that your employer takes against you that is barred by a time limit because your employer can let you go at will.

I agree with the other answers in principle. However, IF there is a valid and supportable reason to believe that this is a pretext for an illegal firing (race, religion, national origin, etc.) then the 2 year gap could be used as supporting evidence.

On the other hand, if the employer only just now discovered what happened, there is nothing at all in the law that would give you a free pass just because of the time gap.

And they probably just found out about it. You apparently took this action in violation of a company policy. You have no case for wrongful termination. You MIGHT be granted UI benefits; you have nothing to lose by filing.

They knew about it when it happened in 2008. They waited untill 2010 to terminate me, but they didnot dismiss me from doing the financial work from then on, the word was out, they did a few audits and I have not heard from anyone until March 2010.

I am telling you that no laws were violated. There is no law that is going to force the employer to give you your job back.

You are, of course, free to try to negotiate it with your employer. Whether you will succeed or not is not something I can predict, since SJ took the crystal ball with him when he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back