Two questions

HC0138678

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I have two (hopefully not too complicated) questions.
Some relevant background information: My ex and I have a court order in place for our minor special needs child. I have primary custody and he attends school in my school district. His father has him overnights on Thursdays, and is to bring him to school on friday mornings. He then gets him after school on fridays and has him for the remainder of the weekend, until sunday night.

Question 1: It was brought to my attention that my ex kept our son home from school on a Friday and flew to Canada with him for the weekend. He sent me a text saying that our son missed school due to an illness. How can I prove that he took him out of the country? (his father has possession of his passport, and I've tried every other way I could think of to prove that he took him, to no avail)

Question 2: My ex has decided to enroll my son into the school in his district for the coming school year, despite the court order saying that he cannot. I will file contempt charges, but by the time they are heard, we may be well into the school year. What should I do if he refuses to give our son back to me at the end of the summer (he has him the last several weeks of summer before school starts) and sends him to school in his district? I know I could just go to the school and take him out, but I don't want to play tug of war with my child. How can I block him from doing this in time for the start of the school year?

Question one, knowing is always easier than proving.

The person who snitched the child's father out might be helpful in obtaining proof.

It might not be worth fighting about.

Question two, the lawyer you hire has all the answers to all the questions about preventing the change of schools.

All of this "tit for tat, about this N that" is best reserved for some courtroom.

Only a lawyer practicing in your county has the knowledge sufficient to offer you any relevant, useful information.

See him or her tomorrow.

Justice delayed, is justice denied.

How can I prove that he took him out of the country?

Prove it to whom? For what purpose would you think you might ever need to prove this to anyone? In any event, presumably your child can testify about this. Right?

I will file contempt charges, but by the time they are heard, we may be well into the school year.

There are ways to have matters such as this heard on an emergency or expedited basis.

What should I do if he refuses to give our son back to me at the end of the summer (he has him the last several weeks of summer before school starts) and sends him to school in his district? . . . How can I block him from doing this in time for the start of the school year?

You should be consulting with a family law attorney now. Don't wait.

Back