The world not ending when they say it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpajet

I'm sure everyone has heard these yahoos that are saying the world is going to end tomorrow. There are people that have joined the caravan across the US, that just walked away from everything they owned.

A curious thought came to mind. When we all wake up Sunday morning as per usual, and these gullible ones are now homeless, could these people sue Family Radio who got this going?

I had no idea what was going on last week when I walked by Bryant Park here in New York City. I snapped a photo. For those of you who don't know, it's a couple of blocks away from Times Square on the east side of Manhattan, just behind our public library. One guy who worked for our transit system spent his life savings on mass advertising (approximately $180,000 reportedly) to let us all know about the end. Enjoy.

View attachment 340

Judgment Day is upon us....

And, this too, shall pass.

The funny thing to me is they quote all these different verses from the Bible on their signs, yet they miss the three times in the Bible where it says that not even Jesus knows when he's coming back, that only God knows when the day will be. Soooooo, Jesus doesn't know when he's coming back, but these people figured it out.

I'm still curious though - could they sue? (and win)

I doubt it. Sure, they could sue - anyone who has a filing fee can sue. But they made their own choices - Family Radio didn't force them to do anything.

I guess a question is whether those who are duped by this claim can sue for fraud if it's a fellow church member who has secretly acquired their valuable property at a discount price before the Apocalypse. Here's a great ad from Craigs List.

If you're someone who will be saved and you live in a higher end apartment in one of the more desirable neighborhoods in Brooklyn I'd be interested in subletting until your return. Please, no studios.

If you're someone who will be saved and you live in a higher end apartment in one of the more desirable neighborhoods in Brooklyn I'd be interested in subletting until your return. Please, no studios.

By the ad's claim, "until your return", limits any recourse.

The tenant wouldn't sublet, having never left to return.

The lease wouldn't be consummated.

Makes for great academic discussion though! :)

By the ad's claim, "until your return", limits any recourse.
The tenant wouldn't sublet, having never left to return.
The lease wouldn't be consummated.
Makes for great academic discussion though! :)
That is *hilarious*... lol. Only a true church member would sell - or not at all since there would be no point (at least not for six months.)

Well, I figured I'd let all of you know that I am still here. I decided to go skating in Central Park before Rapture and apocalypse and am happy to say that the only thing that they predicted correctly was rain... but I got in a great skate before then. :)

Goodby cruel world.
The end of the world is coming in 20 minutes.
I sold all of my stuff for $10.00 and just bought a Starbucks and a pastry. I was able to tip my barista $3.00, but I don't think she'll be able to spend it, what with the world ending in 18 minutes.

I'll miss all of you.
Spending time on this forum with all of you has been fun.
I don't know if my end will come by earthquake, pestilence, fire, flood, tornado, or lightening.

I just hope it will come quickly.

Good bye everyone, even you cruel world!!!

Oops, I may have ucked up?

It is now 12 minutes after 6:00 PM CSDST and I'm still alive!

Praise God, I live!!!

But, I sold all my stuff.

I wonder if I can sue that Rev. Camping dude and his church? I bet I could sue him for a gazillion gagabiliion dollars! Well, this is a legal forum, can I, huh? Can I sue him in small claims for a gazillion gagabiliion dollars for forcing me to sell my stuff?

Last edited:
Honestly? It is ship (sp intended) that makes my eldest question religion. She studies and realizes that most "religious" people are nuts that either what to make the masses feel they have to hate or are going to die if they don't.

God is not (likely) gonna clue some wacko when the "end" is.

I agree.

Why do people follow these nuts?

A belief in a religious philosophy is great.

Believing in a holy man or holy woman seems idiotic to me.

A 60 year old, retired NYC subway worker spent $150,000 of his life savings on bollboards trumpeting this "non-event". He's the last man standing.

He's on duty touting this madness today on subway platforms in NYC.

That is sad, if not criminal.

Rev. Camping is 89 years old.

That should have been a big clue.

The guy is old.

He tried this same schtick 17 years ago at age 72!

Come on people, get a clue.

The guy is a die short of being a pair of dice!

I'm not 89, yet, but I'm old.

Other than my grandkids, I know people would be foolish to follow me anywhere! :) ;)

Honestly? It is ship (sp intended) that makes my eldest question religion. She studies and realizes that most "religious" people are nuts that either what to make the masses feel they have to hate or are going to die if they don't.

God is not (likely) gonna clue some wacko when the "end" is.

Last edited:
I'm off in an hour to sing at a Gig. We were thinking of taking either of the following requests (maybe I'll post some video if you all want a few laughs):

1. Blondie: Rapture
2. REM: It's the End of the World
3. The Doors: The End

I'd love to see you do all of them.

What's the name of your band?

Where do you play?

Next time I get to NYC I'd like to see you perform.

Maybe we oughta plan a Law Forum get together and you guys could be the entertainment?

Or we could just gather where you guys are performing. ;)

I'm off in an hour to sing at a Gig. We were thinking of taking either of the following requests (maybe I'll post some video if you all want a few laughs):

1. Blondie: Rapture
2. REM: It's the End of the World
3. The Doors: The End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back