Text

Loblolly7

Jurisdiction
Georgia
If someone admits something in a text, can it be used against them in a court of law? Even though it wasn't true.

That depends on several things.
There is no way to answer this accurately. One could certainly try to have evidence admitted, but ultimately it is up to the court whether to allow it.

If someone admits something in a text, can it be used against them in a court of law? Even though it wasn't true.

Why would anybody admit to something that wasn't true, especially if it's something that could potentially be used against them in court? That somebody would have to be incredibly stupid.

If someone admits something in a text, can it be used against them in a court of law?

Any admission -- whether made verbally or in any form of writing (whether it be ink and paper, email, text message or otherwise) -- can potentially be admitted as evidence of the truth of the matter admitted.

Even though it wasn't true.

Then admitting it in a text message wasn't very smart. Nonetheless, the person who made the admission is free to testify that it wasn't true and hope the jury believes he was lying then but is telling the truth now, as opposed to the other way around.

Before anyone can prove YOU wrote something in a text, it would have to be proven that you wrote the text.

Just because a text is alleged ot have come from your phone, doesn't mean you wrote it.

The text could have been spoofed.

Someone could have picked up your phone while you left it lying on your desk and texted nasty things to another person.

If you have been accused of doing anything, never defend, never explain, simply smile, and say nothing.

That stuff about "the right to remain silent" is very valuable advice.

Why would anybody admit to something that wasn't true, especially if it's something that could potentially be used against them in court? That somebody would have to be incredibly stupid.

People just can't resist that invitation to "tell their side of the story, mate."

YOU know that, I know that, and we preach it regularly around these parts.

OR they just wanted out of a certain situation! There could be any number of reasons someone says they did something. We all do "stupid" things!! Either way I thought I would get an answer from a lawyer!

OR they just wanted out of a certain situation! There could be any number of reasons someone says they did something. We all do "stupid" things!! Either way I thought I would get an answer from a lawyer!

You did get an answer from a lawyer on here. But you won't get legal advice on here.

No there are no reasons someone would admit guilt to something they didn't do. I wouldn't admit guilt to something I didn't do.

No. The automatic response should be "I want my lawyer."

"I didn't do it" could be just as damaging as saying anything else.

Watch this video and learn why:

Well I more meant if I caught him doing anything wrong. I'm not sure what he ever said when he's gotten arrested. I know that last year before he got arrested they did come and ask him for a voluntary DNA swab and he said no. So they went and got a warrant and came back. Although I do know when they started investigating what he got arrested for (and took a plea deal for) he was on his second rehab trip and he did talk to them. Without a lawyer.

Back