Terminating Parental Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamped

I need some advise. I was married, had 3 children and got divorced. I started seeing a younger woman and discovered this relationship was no better than the first so i decided to end it. Before I could she decided to get pregnant to keep me around. Long story short, she moved out of the state and back to a town 3 hours away. She refused to let my son be in my life but continues to take me back for additional child support every chance she gets. When my son was 10 years old, she decided he needed to be in my life because she was now having marriage problems with her new husband. I need to terminate my rights to this child. I have never been in his life except for paying child support. I am an ATM. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? If you want the whole story I will email it to you. Please help!!

Last edited:
Why do you think you can terminate your rights 10 years after the fact? You can't. Especially if it is for getting out of paying child support. If you want visits then you take mon to court for them. You are being used as an ATM but yet have done nothing to assert your rights. File for visitation because a termination of rights is not going to happen.

I have to say you aren't going to get much sympathy around here. Your ex has no choice by to give you visitation in your child's life if you wanted to pursue it. Every time she "takes you back to hike the child support" is an opportunity for you to get a court order to be in the child's life.

My guess is that you are just too busy to be bothered with the child and you regret the child support. Pathetic.

I pity the child, not you. You were irresponsible in having unprotected casual sex. You were irresponsible about not pursuing your DUTIES as a father with this child, and you have the nerve to bitch about having to pay child support.

I think terminating your rights to this child is a fine idea. You will just be upset to find out that your child support obligations WILL STILL CONTINUE.

Lets get something straight, I am not bitching about having to pay child support! There is more to this than I can put on here so you don't know the whole truth. The people on this site judge you and don't even know all the facts...It was partially my fault and I am not afraid to take the blame where I did wrong. This woman left with my son, moved out of state and back to a town that is 3-4 hours away. When I finally found her and my son, she was having marritable problems and decided that it was time to introduce my son to me. She only did this because she thought she was going to lose her husband and be on her own and needed me in my son's life. So get off your high horse and stop judging people. You sound like one of those men hating bashers because you were done wrong sometime in your life. They say there is pro choice. That is a crock of Sh$t. The only one that has a choice is the person carrying the child. My ex-wife and my wife's ex-husband keeps creating a lot of unnecessary drama and my ex-girlfriend that has my son, well it was high brillant idea to keep my son away from me for 10 years. I cannot afford to hire and pay for an attorney without going bankrupt. So if you dont have any advise, keep your self gratifying comments to yourself JHarris352. I did not ask for your opinion!!

Unfortunately a judge is not going to care a whit about your experiences with past bed partners.

The courts focus will be on the appropriate and adequate financial support of the innocent party here; the child. In the courts eyes, the focus must be on the party least likely to be able to speak up for themselves. The court assumes that adults have the maturity to meet their financial responsibilities to provide adequate care to their offspring. When they don't the court will be the one to step in and assign/require this.

And that is why you will not be able to terminate your parental responsibilities.

Are you maintaining contact with your son? You certainly have the right to do so.

Gail

Not trying to pick on anyone but I do agree with the OP - no need for the harsh comments. In these forums it is sometimes difficult to figure out the whole story since people abbreviate to keep typing short. I am already developing carpal tunnel syndrome!!!! :D

Gail and Duranie are dead on though. There is nothing you can do to terminate child support. If you want to be in the child's life, you have rights. The court grants you them. If it is inconvenient for you then that is not the court's problem but yours. If the mother moved away from the forum state with the child, you should be granted rights too but you have to assert them.

Let's ask the easy questions - what did you do in order to assert your visitation rights?

I also agree....I think people on here are WAY too harsh with their comments, especially since they DONT know the whole story. This is a legal advice forum.....not a moral advice forum....No one has any right to judge anyone, especially since no one is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back