teen son, child support amount

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratrpr

My son is 17 and his girlfriend is about 7 months along. her parents told my wife this evening they expect my son to pay approx $400.00/month in child support. I have checked the child support calculator for my state and at the very worst it suggests only $50.00 per month. My son is being a stand up guy but I think the girls parents are asking a bit much for a high school senior who is pursuing a part time job at this time. Any help would be appreciated

My son is 17 and his girlfriend is about 7 months along. her parents told my wife this evening they expect my son to pay approx $400.00/month in child support. I have checked the child support calculator for my state and at the very worst it suggests only $50.00 per month. My son is being a stand up guy but I think the girls parents are asking a bit much for a high school senior who is pursuing a part time job at this time. Any help would be appreciated

Once paternity has been legally established (with a DNA test) your son will be inputed an income based on his earning capabilities. It will be more than $50.00 per month. And please keep in mind that your "high school senior" was old enough to make the grown up decision of having sex and impregnating his girlfriend...He is old enough to support said child. This is the way the courts will view it.

Stop listening to her parents. Also the mother is required to support the child too, so a part time income for mom is going to be factored in. Since dad is a minor it is unlikely they will go off of full guidelines since he is in school (I assume) and cannot work full time. If he doesn't have a job then its time to look for one unless you want to pay his support obligation. It will likely be anywhere from 50-100/mo. It is not just the fathers fault there is a baby, mom was the one who spread her legs and apparantly did not use any protection, it takes 2 to make the baby. Don't let them blame your son. It is best that everyone be civil and try to get along. My nephew just had a baby at 17 both him and baby mama are in high school. We are in AZ. So far everyone is getting along and helping to babysit the child when the mom has to work. child support has not been filed yet but the dad is helping with diapers, formula, and the school district provides child care at a very low rate so mom can go to school. Your sons baby's mother probably qualifies for WIC so start planning on how both of these kids are going to support the baby.

just an update, due to the constant unceasing pressure the girls parents have put on my son he has now slipped into depression and uncontrollable impulsivism and is under a psychiatrists care and is medicated. What can I say to the girls parents to make them leave my son alone until he is better? They want to know when he is getting out of treatment so he can GET A JOB. I am sick of them. please help??? Thank You

He won't have to pay anything until a court issues an order telling him to. The court will decide the amount.
If the other family is harassing you there are restraining orders for that... however taking that route will drive a permanent wedge into the relationships. Things will work out best if everyone just takes a deep breath and learns how to get along with each other.
He is your son... do your part to get him straightened out as soon as you can. If he doesn't take responsibility here then you will be.

Everyone just needs to stop talking to this family until the baby is born. Your son has rights, don't let her parents dictate anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back