Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Tagged along a shoplifting situation (Zellers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cary44

Hey there,
so when i was going home from work i usually walk through zellers. When i was in zellers i met my friend and she insisted to hang out with her to window shop. so i did. As we were leaving, one of the LP agents stopped us and told us to come to the office. Apperantly my friend had stolen something previously and because of her i got in trouble too. well just today i got a letter from Patrick K. Martin, stating that i owe them $595 for their time, loses and etc... i googled his name i came across a blog and many people who were in the sam situation ignored the letter and decided not to pay it off, because its a scam. and that they never follow up anyways. i dont know what to do?!! I clearly cant afford almost $600 before september 26th. should i ignore it or what?? i need help please!!

well, how do u know that they wont send me another letter stating a higher fine and an interest or taking me to court??
and r u a lawyer? Sorry, this is stressing me so much, i know the same happened to someone i know, but i m not sure if she actually paid the fine or not. i dont know if zellers is good at following up with these kinda penalties... Help! :(

Their letters don't mean anything.
They can send you letters and ask for money all they want, but you are not obligated to pay the money unless a judge orders you to.
The more you respond to them the more they will try to get money from you. Ignore them and they will eventually go away.
You don't owe them anything. Don't pay.

Wrong! Civil demandi state law and failure to pay can carry any number of consequences none of them good. You can choos eto ignore it and gamble they wont do anything but it is a gamble. In my signature line is a site just for retail theft questions. Its manned by experts in this area they can explain civil demand and the consequences

jacksgal said:
Wrong! Civil demandi state law and failure to pay can carry any number of consequences none of them good. You can choos eto ignore it and gamble they wont do anything but it is a gamble. In my signature line is a site just for retail theft questions. Its manned by experts in this area they can explain civil demand and the consequences
The OP resides in The Dominion of Canada.

jacksgal said:
which has Civil Demand laws

Yes, they are demands.
They only mean something if you comply.
If you resist, only a judge can order you to pay.
Even a judge can't make you pay.
You know the drill.
The judge signs an order, if the OP were to lose.
Then the plaintiff would have to collect on that order.
Those demand laws mean something, only if you choose to obey them.

A red light won't stop your car.
If you choose to disobey the red light, it only means something if a
cop tickets you.
The ticket only means something if you're convicted.
Due process still applies in Canada or the US.

Consequences for ignoring Civil demand

. Tripling of fine
. Negative report to credit reporting agencies
. Law suit in which you will likely pay court cost along with inflated fines
. filing of criminal charges for theft if not filed at time

Its a crap shoot so are you a gambler?

@ army judge, ok that makes alot of sense. so wat do u suggest i should. Just ignore the letter and wait for another notice or do something else??
I know i did do some research on the lawyer who ad send me the letter, he said that he was an "external lawyer" for zellers and there is a whole thread of comments online on the same letter that i received and apperantly he is a scammer and the money is actually going to him, not zellers. i really dont know wat to believe and i cant afford a lawyer to consult, so i am trying to find other ways of help...

Cary44 said:
@ army judge, ok that makes alot of sense. so wat do u suggest i should. Just ignore the letter and wait for another notice or do something else??
I know i did do some research on the lawyer who ad send me the letter, he said that he was an "external lawyer" for zellers and there is a whole thread of comments online on the same letter that i received and apperantly he is a scammer and the money is actually going to him, not zellers. i really dont know wat to believe and i cant afford a lawyer to consult, so i am trying to find other ways of help...
Cary44, I can't tell you what to do.
I wouldn't have been in your position.
Had I found myself in your position, I wouldn't accede to these ridiculous demands for tribute.
I'd ignore.
You see what others, similarly situated have said, this is but another con-game.

This crook skims a little off for Zeller's and keeps a lot for himself.

He isn't a judge.
Would you send me money, too, if I wrote such a letter?

I wouldn't give this crook a dime.
I have the right to due process.
I'd make sure I got it.
Besides, if this goes to court, you didn't steal anything.
You happened to be with someone who is alleged to have stolen something.

I wouldn't pay.
I'd also never shop in Zeller's again.
Is this anyway to treat an honest person?

You probably know more about the demands... but it seems to me they can demand all they want. There is no obligation to pay unless there is some sort of contract or an order from a judge, neither of which seems to exist here.

Consequences for ignoring Civil demand

. Tripling of fine
. Negative report to credit reporting agencies
. Law suit in which you will likely pay court cost along with inflated fines
. filing of criminal charges for theft if not filed at time

Its a crap shoot so are you a gambler?

I believe those penalties only apply under certain circumstances. They are not automatic.

You probably know more about the demands... but it seems to me they can demand all they want. There is no obligation to pay unless there is some sort of contract or an order from a judge, neither of which seems to exist here.

jacksgal is correct. As I understand it, a civil demand is kind of specific to shoplifting cases. The store sends the demand. If you refuse to pay it, they can then send it to civil court, and jacksgal has laid out the consequences of not paying.

My question in a case like this is, what are his chances if he lets it go to court and he asks them to prove that he was an accomplice. As he stated he met up with this girl after she stole and had no knowledge.

If the OP can show that he/she was aquitted in court or charges were dropped they can then refuse Civil Demand and if sued likely win. However its the norm for the law firm to wait if the accused is fighting charges

jacksgal is correct. As I understand it, a civil demand is kind of specific to shoplifting cases. The store sends the demand. If you refuse to pay it, they can then send it to civil court, and jacksgal has laid out the consequences of not paying.

My question in a case like this is, what are his chances if he lets it go to court and he asks them to prove that he was an accomplice. As he stated he met up with this girl after she stole and had no knowledge.

Well that is just it.
Why would the OP pay anything on demand if not guilty of theft?
Why would the OP be at risk of paying additional penalties?
The demand letter in such a case is bordering on extortion.

Many call it that but is serves a purpose. Its also legal. That being said it would be in OP's best interest to contact this Attorney and explain that you are currently fighting these charges with intent to show his/her innocence. Therefore Op is requesting said Attorney to place the accounton hold until that outcome. In posts I have read on other sites most of these Law firms comply with this request. If OP is successful is having charges dropped or is found "not guilty" in court the law firm will remove demand. However ignoring the letter can force the law firm to take further action already mentioned

But there are no charges. OP says nothing of police involvement or pending court action, just a demand for money from some attorney.

mightymoose said:
But there are no charges. OP says nothing of police involvement or pending court action, just a demand for money from some attorney.

The OP wasn't charged with any crime. The OP was with someone who is alleged to have lifted some purloined goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back