Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Tagged along a shoplifting situation (Zellers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which happens a lot depending on store policy and other factors. This not make the request any less legal. OP its your choice gamble they will do nothing or pay them. Now were Police called? Do you have a court date? If yes that might actually work in your favor

The OP wasn't charged with any crime. The OP was with someone who is alleged to have lifted some purloined goods.

True but we do not know if OP was charged as accomplice or even as part of actual theft. If so they might work in OP's favor as then Op can show his/innocence and take that to Law firm and have request removed

jacksgal said:
True but we do not know if OP was charged as accomplice or even as part of actual theft. If so they might work in OP's favor as then Op can show his/innocence and take that to Law firm and have request removed

See, that is the problem with those ridiculous legal demand scams.

That's why I advise people to ignore it.

Sure, it could eventually affect someone's credit rating.

But, do most people with 750 FICO or even 650 FICO scores shoplift? I doubt it.

Sure, some thieves have money and good credit. Most of them are drug addicts or "professional" thieves. Some are homeless and penniless. I doubt they care about a credit score.

Back to the OP, if he wasn't charged, why is he being hounded?

Op is being "hounded" because the Civil Demand laws permit it. Of course states and countries can always charge everyone then the lifters will pay both criminal and civil fines and face criminal records. the cost to fight shoplifting is enromous and Civil Demand helps retailers recoup some of that cost.

No I wouldn't.
I've represented those from all walks of life.
But, from what I've seen, more disadvantaged people, drug addicts, and children shoplift.
I've also seen physicians, attorneys, teachers, a couple of cops, even a retails store manager, and a 95 year old man suffering from Alzheimer Disease!

hey,
wow, great posts! sorry i coudnt reply earlier.
So yes the police had to come there to charge my friend and give me a warning. We coudnt leave before the police got there and our parents. and no i wasnt charged. i think here in canada teh laws are a bit different than the states. I have no court date and no criminal charge. I do remember the LP agent taking down all my info and the cops did tell me that i will be getting fined from the company for a maximum of $2000, but when u asked how much exactly she told me she had no clue an its between the company and i. Even the LPs "didnt know"... Personally, its just zellers trying to get extra money in any way. i heard that the lps had caught a 12 year old kid stealing a handful of smarties and the lps caught him and the mom and they had also gotten the same letter for civil demand in mail. dont you think thats a bit ridiculous?? But i dont know yet what i am going to do exactly, i came across a hotline for a lawyer here, so ill be calling them soon and asking one of the lawyers for some advice.

Still... don't pay it.

And yes, you could have left before your parents or the police arrived, you just didn't know it ;) Unless you were tied up, all you had to do was walk out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back