Supervisor bullies/intimidates me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunrise

I am a receptionist/secretary in a small office, so anyone who wants secretarial/reception work done becomes my temporary supervisor. "Bob," (who may possibly be the next director when the current elderly director retires) incorrectly believed that I had snubbed a visitor at the reception desk who wanted to meet with one of Bob's subordinates. Bob appeared at my desk shaking. He stuttered in anger, screamed at me about my supposed behavior, then slammed his hand down hard on my desk, directly in front of me.

My direct supervisor later told me that she would not be telling Bob that his yelling and slamming were unacceptable behavior. Our personnel policy prohibits sexual harassment, but says nothing about screaming/slamming. What shall I do? I would like him to get managerial training, or anger management training and apologize to me. I do not want him to get back at me for any of this. I would also like to see my company adopt a "no screaming/slamming" policy. (No bullying/intimidation). To this end, I am currently researching if City Hall employees have regulations about this, since my office is partially connected with City Hall.

I don't know if he would have screamed/slammed if I were male or if I were his superior.

Any laws or advice on this? Thanks.

You're a low level employee. The abuse you suffered isn't because you're any specific gender, it's because some people think they have the right to abuse low level employees.

You're in no position to dictate terms to anyone. If you're not careful, they'll find a way to get rid of you.

Your first approach should be to cautiously approach HR and ask about this. Before doing that, I'd speak to my immediate superior and see what position she/he takes, and what advice they offer.

Don't make waves, you'll get sunk. These buffoons always have others to cover their axxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks and follow-up

Thanks; that is very wise advice. My direct supervisor is also the HR director. She's said that she isn't going to say anything to Bob.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been in your position before. No way am I taking that, but if the boss is stammering and shaking, I will wait for him/her to calm down. Then go to him calmly, ask him if he has the time to talk it over. If he doesn't, ask to set up an appointment, so he does have the time. And, then, when the time is at hand, calmly explain what really happened. Talk it over until it's resolved, and afterwards, DO tell him how you want to be treated as a person.

Some things aren't about lawyers. Some things are about being professional even for bosses. If he doesn't take it like a man, then it's time to look for a new job. Of course, don't confuse that with quitting, before you find that new job. Why look forward to working with someone who acts like that all the time? But, then again, if it works out, like these things usually do, it can be resolved adult to adult. We all have bad days. Up to us to make sure a bad day doesn't turn into expected treatment.

Thank you. This was very wise and mature advice. I think I was too intimidated to talk with him later, and tell my side, and tell him how I would like to be treated in the future. That would have been good communication. I think I got shut down at that point because my father used to blow steam and stammer, and then would hit me. And he would not be open to talking about it afterward, but would blow up a second time -- so in the office, I couldn't think past my experience with my father. Thank you for your wise insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back