Stopping Alimony due to early retirment

JennyMominFL

Stopping alimony/maintenance due to early retirement

My sister was awarded permanent maintenence in NY 12 years ago. There were 3 causes for stoppage, death, remarriage, or significant loss of income. Her husband was a vice president of a large company and took a retirement 15 years early. He refuses to pay more alimony and has not addressed this stoppage in court. My sister is not healthy is pennyless and living with us in Florida. Is this legal? Yes , we will consult an attorney but she is quite literally broke.

Last edited:
My sister was awarded permanent maintenence in NY 12 years ago. There were 3 causes for stoppage, death, remarriage, or significant loss of income. Her husband was a vice president of a large company and took a retirement 15 years early. He refuses to pay more alimony and has not addressed this stoppage in court. My sister is not healthy is pennyless and living with us in Florida. Is this legal? Yes , we will consult an attorney but she is quite literally broke.

Any remedy available to her would have to be sought in a NY (not a Florida) court.

Legality isn't at issue, as this is simply a civil matter.

From what you have posted, the early retirement (regardless of the reason) seems to comply with the "significant loss of income" exception.

It is probably best if an attorney is consulted. This would have to be handled through the court system.

Back