Someone is harassing my friend on Facebook about a stolen dog.

Tsco

Jurisdiction
Washington
Really had no clue where to ask this question, but things are getting kinda serious so I wanted to see if there was anything we could do.

She's had this little dog for like six years. Some lady on a local Facebook group claimed that the dog belonged to her, refused to answer questions about whether or not she is altered/purebred. I didn't take it very seriously and told her to block the lady because she's clearly crazy.
Months and months later, she tells me that this chick is making new accounts to harass her, and sending other locals from Facebook to attack her, locals people are threatening to doxx her.
The dog is microchipped with her info, she has vet records and DNA tests too.

My main concern is that people are getting her family and friends involved, and still won't leave her alone. She has severe anxiety, and cares so deeply about that dog, really hate seeing her like this. Is there anything at all we can do about it? defamation or something does that count on the internet??? I keep telling her to get off of Facebook.
Any advice? TIA

The best and safest way to ignore a virtual bully is to block it's access to your account.

Otherwise, ignoring a virtual bully causes it to extinguish it's own boorish behavior.

How is that, you ask?

If a negative behavior isn't reinforced or acknowledged, the offending organism often silences itself.

After carefully reading your friends story, I definitely would report these threat's to her local law enforcement, and I would encourage her to definitely delete her Facebook account ASAP .Be praying for God's best and protection for your friend.

Is there anything at all we can do about it?

There is no "we." She will have to handle this herself.

You're right. Getting off Facebook is a good idea.

It's also a good idea to file a police report. The police may do nothing but it will be on record and sending a copy to the offender may get her to back off.

She can also file for a restraining order. Washington has anti-harassment restraining orders available.

Here's the statute:

RCW 10.14.080: Antiharassment protection orders—Ex parte temporary—Hearing—Longer term, renewal—Acts not prohibited. (<i>Effective until July 1, 2022.</i>)

Here are the forms:

Washington State Courts - Court Forms - Antiharassment

Some instructions down the left side of the page.

Ultimately, she may have to file a private nuisance lawsuit.

she tells me that this chick is making new accounts to harass her, and sending other locals from Facebook to attack her

Attack her how? Physically? If so, that rather obviously should be reported to the police.

Is there anything at all we can do about it?

We can't do anything because this has nothing to do with you. The obvious answer for your friend is to report what's happening to Facebook, leave whatever groups are causing this and block people. If those things don't resolve things, then she can get off Facebook (at least for several months).

defamation or something does that count on the internet?

The basic elements of defamation are a false statement of fact, of and concerning the subject's reputation and (generally) which results in actual financial damage to the subject. If those things have occurred, then your friend may want to consult with a local attorney. Not sure what you mean by "or something."

I keep telling her to get off of Facebook.

Good suggestion. If she won't listen to you, then that's on her and nothing about which you should concern yourself. Not your problem.

Back