Signing rights and Child Support

T

theirmomma2016

Jurisdiction
Texas
I would like my daughters biological father to sign his rights over on my daughter.
He has NEVER been around since I was 3 months pregnant.

But I want him to be financially responsible for her. He keeps having children and signing his rights over.
So I do not want him to keep getting away because it is not fair to these children.

Can he legally sign his rights over but still be financially responsible?

I would like my daughters biological father to sign his rights over on my daughter.

But I want him to be financially responsible for her. He keeps having children and signing his rights over.
So I do not want him to keep getting away because it is not fair to these children.

Sorry that's not how it works. Sometimes a person can still pay child support after getting their parental rights terminated. However, the majority of the time a judge will not approve terminating parental rights to allow someone to get out of child support.

If you go to the judge asking for parental rights terminated he or she will want to know what you have done to facilitate visitation of the child with the father.

Children aren't property or possessions that you can get rid of when you feel like (in regards to your ex). I highly doubt he has been able to have his rights terminated for all these children you claim he has.

If you are married - you can try a stepparent adoption.

But be forewarned - some of these people will start showing up again once you request rights to be terminated. I've seen and heard about it from others.

It isn't an easy process though.

If you were never married he has no paternal rights until he establishes paternity and goes to court to request visitation.

Child support is easy.

You start here. Texas Attorney General does it for you for FREE:
Child Support - Welcome to the Child Support Division

What rights? Visitation? Legal? Custodial? It makes a difference. Is there currently a court order granting him certain rights?

I agree with army judge, if he has no rights on your daughter until he goes to the court for a paternity test and ask for visitation. But since you are planning to sign him over on your daughter it would be good that you don't ask him for the financial support otherwise he might use this in future against you.
That isn't really true at all. She can file for child support all she wants. If he doesn't want to pay it he can TRY to sign over his rights but most judges won't allow that just to get out of child support AND someone has to adopt the child.

How would he "use that against" her? He has an obligation once legally determined to be the father to take care of that child. So her asking for support isn't a negative thing he could "use against her."

Back