Sexual harassment from customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cammons

If I was sexually assaulted by a customer almost 7 months ago, harassed by more customers since then and every time have reported to my store manager and every time eas told there is nothing to be done.. What are my legal rights as well as what can I do?

Did you report the sexual assault to Law Enforcement?

As far as your job, you are able to look for another one and quit the one you have if you don't like how management is treating you.

This is a real question, not a retort. There is a specific purpose for the question.

In an ideal world, what would your employer do that would make you feel your concern is being addressed?

If you were sexually assaulted, that should have been reported to the police. How were you harassed by other customers? Also need answer to cbg's question.

If I was sexually assaulted by a customer almost 7 months ago, harassed by more customers since then and every time have reported to my store manager and every time eas told there is nothing to be done.. What are my legal rights as well as what can I do?

What type of business employs you?
What is your occupation at your place of employment?

If anyone attacks you, molests you, assaults you, or disturbs the peace and dignity of yoru work place, it would be in YOUR best interests to call "911" and get police assistance.

I do hope that this never occurs again, but if it does, for your sake and well being, PLEASE call "911".

No one should have to suffer such indignities, abuse, maltreatment, torment, and mental anguish.

No job is worth you, your life, your dignity, or your pride.

This is a real question, not a retort. There is a specific purpose for the question.

In an ideal world, what would your employer do that would make you feel your concern is being addressed?

That's actually a very good question to ask. I have a few ways that a employer can do to make me feel like my problems have been addressed 1. By addressing it immediately and seriously. 2. If there is follow up information needed to better understand the situation, actually do the follow up. if it's above their head in order to get that done then start the process. Then inform the person that has the problem on everything that is being done instead of leaving them in the dark on the situation they have brought to attention. 3. Most importantly advize your employee as well as other employees of what to do If they find themselves in a situation such as this. Now that I've said all these ideas let me just clarify my employer did none of these...especially number three without my constant bothering for it to be discussed amongst the employees as a whole, and even when it was done it was addressed in a very off hand and rushed way that it was obvious it was only being said breifly so they can say they tried. I know more than anyone how difficult the situation becomes when dealing with harassment between an employee and some random customer.. There is only so much they may be able to do, but they have to at least explore all options that there are. My situation was not handled properly and would have probably never been thought of again until I pushed and pushed, and even that back fired. I was told they would pull the video Nd get back with me upon reviewing. Then retold that they didn't even have the authority to do what they had said they would when I asked about the results. That is just not right... I could go on more and more, but I hope that answered your question at least. I apologize for the late response.

If you were sexually assaulted, that should have been reported to the police. How were you harassed by other customers? Also need answer to cbg's question.
Yes Betty3, your are very right it should have been reported to the police. I now know that, and will without a doubt do that if it ever happens again. At that time I was shocked that it had happened at all and I expected my store manager to help me go through the oroper channels of reporting this. I made a mistake in doing so. Well the first customer, which is the one that all this started over and has been being discussed.. Reached over my register and gropped my breast as I was ringing up his merchandise. The second customer a few months later Atempted to touch my breast and I stopped his hand.. Again I reported to my bosses. The third customer less than a month later decided upon shopping at my store that he would post things on Craig's list about me including my name, store and everything saying remarks towards me about how he wanted me and so on and so forth.. This was brought to my attention by another employee who had come accross the message about me online. I was very creeped out by some stranger saying these things and putting my information and place of employment online so I went to my managers for a last and final time to prove that as they read I am not exaggerating about the unwanted attention I have received by my customers. My store manager honestly laughed!!!! Thinking it was humerus and maybe it is to him, but he doesn't have to deal with it I do. I will not let any of this happen without calling the authorities and I have since told my bossss the same exact thing that I relied on them to help me and they failed in every aspect of the word.. That I should never have done this and put myself through more u needed stress and just let the police handle it.

Thank you, Army Judge! I sure hope it never happens again either. I work at (store) as. Cashier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you report the sexual assault to Law Enforcement?

As far as your job, you are able to look for another one and quit the one you have if you don't like how management is treating you.

I don't know if I still can since there is so much of a time gap between the first incident and now. I wasted a lot of time thinking my company I have been working for for two years would help me.

Where customers asked to leave? Were the customers still in store when this happened. Last and not meant to be offensive why are you being singled out in this way? I work in retail security so there I need to know this to give input. In addition there are HR experts who have asked you questions as well answering them will greatly help your answers

These seem to be isolated incidents (as opposed to one customer who keeps offending over and over) and it sounds like by the time it was reported to management the person was already out of the store and the situation had passed. If that is not the case, please clarify.

While you still have recourse (potentially) for sexual assault, there really isn't anything your employer can do after the fact. I get that you don't feel they are sympathetic and you would prefer they be proactive in warning other employees this may happen but there is nothing in the law which would require either of these things. There isn't anything your employer can do after the fact when it is a one-off occurrence and when months go without any other incidents. I suppose they could ban the person from the store assuming they know the customer's identity, but if that customer never returns anyway, it is a moot point. The employer is also not required to ban the individual. Your employer is not the police, nor do they have any control over what someone posts on Craigslist.

This simply is not a sexual harassment matter for the employer to worry about.
A sexual battery occurred, which is a police matter.
If you're troubles were with other employees then the employer would need to take action.
You should ask your employer for guidance on how to handle a sexual battery if it should occur again, but as you describe it here there seems to be no action the employer is obligated to take.

Where customers asked to leave? Were the customers still in store when this happened. Last and not meant to be offensive why are you being singled out in this way? I work in retail security so there I need to know this to give input. In addition there are HR experts who have asked you questions as well answering them will greatly help your answers

In my case only one customer is a frequent shopper that I have noticed for sure. I made sure that management knew exactly who the man was and to my knowledge nothing was said to him, nor was he banned from the store. It is hard to catch management in a situation such as mine and still get the problem conveyed in time to catch the customer before he leaves the store. This is mainly because I am a cashier.. As soon as they leave from me they are out the door. I have also seen your second post.. In response to that question.. I wish I knew why I seem to have more problems than anyone else!! I found out about other harrassment my fellow cashiers where receiving from some customers as well when I asked if they had said anything they told me no. I just would like to know what am I legally able to do when this happens?? I understand call the police.. Other than that because I cannot seem to find a good answer in how I am supposed to respond in cases such as this without possibly losing my job in the process.

I feel that despite anything an employer is obligated to inform their employees with information on what to do in the future if they are having a problem with customers...

It would be nice for an employer to make it clear how they would like an employee to respond to such situations but no law compels them to do so.

It sounds to me as if nothing but banning the customer from the store is going to make you feel that the employer is doing enough.

Is this guy harassing you every time he frequents the store? Your previous posts don't indicate such and imply that these are all isolated incidents that happened one time with each person. Is this an ongoing and frequent issue with just one guy?

In your first post you note you were sexually assaulted by one customer & harassed by others. You also mention other cashiers (in one of your posts) were also being harassed by customers but never reported it. Most cashiers have some "problem" customers to deal with. As Elle asked, is there one person who has been harassing you over & over? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back