Salary

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most states, including yours, the longest an employee can be required to work in a week is 168 hours.

Only a very few states limit the number of hours an employee can be required to work, regardless of their pay method. The only questions is whether or not hours over 40 in a week have to be compensated at time and a half, which is determined by whether or not you are exempt or non-exempt. (Not all exempt employees are salaried; not all salaried employees are exempt.) Salaried is only a pay method and has no legal standing of its own.

Agree though there can be some exceptions for minors; long haul truckers, airline pilots... (for safety reasons).

ROFLMAO, CBG can you tell me of a situation where an employer could make someone work more than 168 hours in week? Sorry, I just derived a good laugh out of the statement. For those mathematically challenged, 7 X 24 is 168.

ROFLMAO, CBG can you tell me of a situation where an employer could make someone work more than 168 hours in week? Sorry, I just derived a good laugh out of the statement. For those mathematically challenged, 7 X 24 is 168.

I can, in the fall when XDST returns to XST and you end up having a 169 hour week.

It was a humorous, albeit precise answer.

Once a year under day light savings time in the fall, we have a 25 hour day when we change to standard time. Which would give us a 169 hour work week once a year, with an offsetting 167 hour work week in the spring when we "spring forward".

I even considered adding that the employee could conceivably be required to work 169 hours during the week.

(The qualifier was due to the fact that in a few states, the employee can only be required to work 144 hours per week.)

Go ahead, Betty. :D

I once worked for a person that claimed if you worked hard enough, you could do 48 hours work in a 24 hour day. Suffice it to say, once that philosophy was made known, people would seek transfers. The person took ill, and their philosophy soon changed. Life has to slap us all every now and then.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back