Reverse a Child support decision/erase arrears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Producer

I have been recently hit with a child support garnishment of 1k per month leaving me with a check of $323.00 every two weeks which is not enough even to pay the rent. The amount is 600 plus interest on an amount over 100k in arears. At the time of the decision my wife had left me and moved in with another man and she married him shortly thereafter. I was given visistation rights. She moved away and never let me see the kids. Within one year of the divorce she had changed all 3 of my childrens last names to her new husbands name. She collected welfare for a few months while living with him shortly after the div and this started the garnishment. THe Garnishment was originally based on an income I had while in the USN as a CPO . Which I lost within 2 months of the div. Therefore every job I have tried to get thereafter was immediately hit with garnishment before I could get on my feet therefore over the past 15 years I have been homeless or living out of my vehicle (during times that I had one). On top of that I have been told that any money that was sent in to the system has never been picked up by my ex because she does not want it (this I have been unable to verify through the County collecting the support) I am unable to contact exwife. The job I currently have I have had for only 2 months and I was just reaching about 1k every two weeks. Now very quickly I will repeat the usual which is that I will be unable to sustain a roof over my head and will be forced to downsize which means go to the street travel somewhere and hope that they dont catch up to me for awhile. All kids are over the age of 18.. they do not want to know me and do not consider me to be there father anymore. the sad part is that I never wanted any of this to end up this way and always wanted to cooperate with the ex but she refused any money personally and also refused to do anything about the garnishment. I am 46 now and the thought of starting over again and losing my place again leaves me worried that I will end up permanently on the street.......can anyone help........I do not have any money at all. 330.00 in bank and rent due in two weeks... Help??

I am very sorry to hear that. It depends on the exact details of the case and the laws of the state if something can be done about it. You definitely should have an attorney look into this. There should be some legal aid organisations around who give consultations for free, try to find one to look at this mess.

Which state and county are you in?

reversing cp county state

The original support decision was San Diego CA, the enforcement is coming from
San Bernardino County Ca. and I reside in Dade County FL.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back