Quit or get fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

up2itnow

I am in Colorado. I have been on the job for 4 years and 10 months, always had good reviews, received a couple of additional bonuses for going above and beyond, and only one really minor reprimand. Following an ugly custody battle, which I won, my Ex emailed my criminal history and driving record to several high level people within my company. In this email she also exposed the fact that I lied about having a degree on my application. Obviously the background check didn't catch it and I got the job. My company didn't pay much attention to the emailed criminal history or the DMV record because all of that stuff is well over ten years old but they are asking for transcripts. I can't provide them so I am most likely out of a job one way or another but for the purposes of unemployment I am wondering if I should let them fire me. Not getting unemployment will really hurt but if there is no way that I will qualify for benefits, then I'd rather quit just so I can save some face with these people I have worked with for the last 4 years. WHAT SHOULD I DO???

BTW - I pay $1889 in contractual maintenance to the EX and Child Support was just recalculated based on my current income. If I'm out of a job she will not be getting the maintenance and her current $500 in CS could be more. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I've been going to college and will have my degree in about a year; all of this wouldn't have mattered then.

You lied on your application = perfectly valid reason to fire you. Even if you weren't in an "at will" state (which you are).

If you quit, you've basically said goodbye to unemployment. At least if they fire you, you'll have a chance.

With regards to what you're paying your ex - if you don't pay, the arrears will simply build up. It won't go away.

Thanks Proserpina

I knew/know I am the one in the wrong and I made my bed so I have to sleep in it. If they fire me with cause, I file for unemployment, my only shot is them not contesting. Right?

Regarding the Ex, I knew it wouldn't go away but she is hurting for money now so she only made her situation worse. If I don't work, she doesn't get paid until I am working again. Blowing the whisle didn't help her situation any at all.

If they fire me with cause, I file for unemployment, my only shot is them not contesting. Right?

I don't want to kick you while you're down, but even the employer not contesting is not a guarantee that you'll collect benefits. If the adjuster thinks that lying about your criminal history is sufficient misconduct to deny benefits, they can do it whether your employer contests or not. I've had employees denied unemployment when I didn't contest, for calling in too often.

On the other hand, it might be that the claims adjuster thinks that close to five years of good employment cancels out the lie and that your employer should have taken a lesser degree of discipline.

Bottom line is, if you apply you may get benefits and you may not. If you don't apply, you definitely won't. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Thanks CBG. You're right, having a slight chance at getting benefits is better than no chance at all. The dumb thing is, I found out that I most likely would have gotten the job even without the college degree but it was too late to go back. Being out of work for 10 months with a wife and 2 kids makes a guy desperate and in this case I was desperate enough to say I had a B.A. ...bummer!

Thanks again.

Thanks CBG. You're right, having a slight chance at getting benefits is better than no chance at all. The dumb thing is, I found out that I most likely would have gotten the job even without the college degree but it was too late to go back. Being out of work for 10 months with a wife and 2 kids makes a guy desperate and in this case I was desperate enough to say I had a B.A. ...bummer!
Thanks again.

That is how you should explain it to your company. Inform them your going to school now. How well you like the job. etc...etc.... maybe they will be understanding because of your past performance.

Thanks DV, CBG, and Proserpina! I like your optimism!! Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is what I always say. Like CBG said, "it can't hurt". I am setting my come clean meeting up with HR now but I'm am struggling with whether to schedule it for tomorrow or to set it for next Friday. Part of me wants it just to be over but one more week of work is good too. I just keep rethinking it and can't quite get myself to hit send. Oh well, I can't dodge this bullet any longer, next Friday it is. Cilcking now...UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back