Question.

N

NA100

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Hello,

I was hired by a company two months ago. During conversations and none of this is in writing, I was told that it was a flourishing environment and I had a lot of room to grow. I had no reason to believe otherwise.

The company is owned by a woman in France. Last week she came to our office and told me that I was doing a great job, was impressed with me and that I had a lot of growth opportunity within the company.

Yesterday, I was let go. I was told by the HR/office manager it was by no fault of my own but company finances - they were moving my position to France.

Prior to me getting let go 6/11 folks in our office were office let go, I am assuming there are more cuts to come. Please note the employees cut were also fairly new (I was the newest - the longest standing was a year).

I had the privilege to meet with a former employee who complained about the owner and called the environment poisonous. He also shared that they had financial problems and completely cleaned house a year prior (leaving only two long-tearm employees, one being HR).

Is there any grounds to sue for employment on false pretenses? There is nothing contractual and I was deemed an employee at will, however, given the false statements and other folks that were also let go - is that a possibility?

There is nothing upon which you can base a successful lawsuit.
You were an at will employee.
You had no contract, nor were you protected by a CBA.

You failed to conduct proper due diligence about the company's finances.

You can apply for unemployment, and begin your new job search.

I am also in MA. Without a great deal more evidence than you have indicated here, you would not be able to successfully sue for anything. You have not provided any evidence that they knew, two months ago when you were hired, that they would be moving the operation to France, and I have seen complete company closures decided on and accomplished in far less time than that. I lost a job a few years ago when we had our funding yanked out from under us; from the decision to close to locking the doors took less than a week.

Sorry. Apply for unemployment and dust off the resume.

Is there any grounds to sue for employment on false pretenses? There is nothing contractual and I was deemed an employee at will, however, given the false statements and other folks that were also let go - is that a possibility?

No.

The life lesson for you to learn here is NEVER believe a prospective employer's promises or glowing descriptions about how great your future is going to be with the company.

They will fire you in a heartbeat if it suits them.

You would have needed a signed binding employment contract to have any chance at recourse - sorry.

Back