question about subpoena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaim9778

I recently found out a person I had been friends with is going to subpoena me to come and testify for her in court. We have had a falling out and I do not wish to appear. She is going through a divorce and feels that I may have information to provide beneficial to her side. I couldn't find the sanction for contempt of court in Illinois anywhere. I do know she tried to subpoena another person and they ignored the subpoena as well, yet weren't sanctioned at all. She served the subpoena the first time. Does that make a difference. I haven't received the subpoena as of yet, but as I stated previously I do not want to attend.

if you are subpoeaned you have to attend. I would not risk a contempt of court citation for something like that. It depends on the court what sanction they will give, it can be from a fine up to jail.

You can also tell your friend you do not feel you will do her any justice by testifying and that she should leave you out of it.

It is always a bad idea to get involved in stuff like this. If you honestly feel it would be in the kids best interest, and not hers, then do what you feel is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back