Promised a certain pay

let down

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I have worked for a company for 3 years. I applied for a new position, within the company. When I asked what the pay would be, I was told by the Executive Director, she wasn't for sure yet. I told her during the interview, I work 10 hours of over time a week, and I could not afford to go below on what I made then. She said "I will not let that happen". I did get the new position, and the new HR Manager, had asked her several times, and I had emailed her about a meeting to discuss my pay. The email was ignored.
A few months later, I was brought over to another entity of the company, and they offered me an hourly rate. I excepted this, because it was 1.25 more p/h. I told my situation to the HR Director, which is now my boss. She sincerely apologized for what the Executive Director had done to me, and I know she did fight to try and get me higher pay, while I was still under the Executive Director.
The HR Manager was in on the interview, and he heard what she had said.
I love where Im at now. I love my job, my boss, and the people I work with, but, it doesn't take care of my bills.
Is there anything to be done about the Executive Director.

No.

And if you make a stink about it you risk losing your job.

The lessons learned: Never trust your employer. Never work for promises.

Your best revenge is to find a better paying job that you can learn to love just as much as you love this one.

No.

And if you make a stink about it you risk losing your job.

The lessons learned: Never trust your employer. Never work for promises.

Your best revenge is to find a better paying job that you can learn to love just as much as you love this one.

Thank You for the response. The only thing is, I'm under a different entity of the company. I love this job, in every aspect. But it doesn't pay the bills. You are right. TY again.

sounds like some miscommunication -- did you tell her that you need to gross that same amount in the same period or that you couldn't go below "what I made then" and she assumed that meant the hourly rate? Was your hourly rate lower in the 2nd position? Or did you get less/no OT? Or was it a salaried rate that turned out lower than your gross hourly pay for the same number of hours? Hard to tell with the pronouns of "he" and "she".... Is the 3rd job paying "what I made then" or more? If not, it probably is time to look elsewhere.

You should always ask for the offer in writing even when doing a transfer. And don't accept until you get that or negotiate what you want. Don't rely on a verbal "I will not let that happen" because sometimes even the Exec Director can't change the pay for a job.

honestly there isn't much you can do if you don't have an offer. There is nothing that required the employer to keep your gross pay the same, even if that is what you wanted. Maybe she thought she could swing it and then wasn't professional enough to tell you she couldn't or maybe she just let you make that assumption to get you to move.

sounds like some miscommunication -- did you tell her that you need to gross that same amount in the same period or that you couldn't go below "what I made then" and she assumed that meant the hourly rate? Was your hourly rate lower in the 2nd position? Or did you get less/no OT? Or was it a salaried rate that turned out lower than your gross hourly pay for the same number of hours? Hard to tell with the pronouns of "he" and "she".... Is the 3rd job paying "what I made then" or more? If not, it probably is time to look elsewhere.

You should always ask for the offer in writing even when doing a transfer. And don't accept until you get that or negotiate what you want. Don't rely on a verbal "I will not let that happen" because sometimes even the Exec Director can't change the pay for a job.

honestly there isn't much you can do if you don't have an offer. There is nothing that required the employer to keep your gross pay the same, even if that is what you wanted. Maybe she thought she could swing it and then wasn't professional enough to tell you she couldn't or maybe she just let you make that assumption to get you to move.

She knew exactly the amount, and that was including the overtime. So did the HR Manager. I made that very clear.

But there is nothing legal holding them to the amount you needed unless you had a written job offer (and even those can be changed/rescinded in the future) or a contract that has been negotiated.. no guarantees.

You can make it very clear what you need and they can state they will do so, but can change the terms of your employment at any time in the future. You have the choice of moving on somewhere else once you are told.

Do I think it is right/fair or whatever other word to use? Not really. But it is not illegal. They should have answered your concerns/questions in the beginning.

Unfortunately you really have no authority to do anything to the Exec Director.

What would you like to be done to the Exec. Dir?

I suggest you just do your job, if you want to keep your job.

The best thing you can do is let it go, and if money is that important to you, get a second job, or get a job at another organization/company.

People always say they love their job, but if it doesn't help you feed the bulldog, you aren't that happy.

If you can't get more money, keep your mouth shut and a big smile on your face until you can do better.

You might want to earn $100/hour, but you're receiving $50/hour.

Realize that $50/hour is better than nothing an hour.

No employee is paid more because he/she has to feed 10 human mouths and 12 doggy mouths.

You are paid for the work you do for your employer, not because you have bills to pay.

It is never good to whine to an employer about the debts you have, or the responsibilities you bear.

Employer's don't want to hear that, anymore than you want to hear the company can't make payroll next week.

Back