1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Pro se in a Rule to Show Cause?

Discussion in 'Alimony & Spousal Support' started by pickledpear1, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickledpear1

pickledpear1 Law Topic Starter New Member

Bottom line up front: my ex has retained a lawyer and sent a letter to point out 7 examples of how she thinks I am not following the rules of the divorce decree regarding paying for things for her (insurance, car pmt). Out of the 7, I have proven her wrong on all but 2. She barely has a leg to stand on and I don't know if she will push forward (it will cost her $2000 to attempt to get reimbursed $300 assuming of course she wins and the judge makes me pay her legal costs) with filing a Rule to Show Cause.

I have a lawyer but I can't afford to retain him. I am thinking of representing myself if needed but am not sure if it's something I can handle (although my wife will help and she's pretty smart about stuff like this).

Any thoughts or opinions?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You may not know everything she's planning, generally such letters don't reveal all.
    Why not talk to a lawyer?
    I don't have an "ex", but if I did, I'd rather pay a lawyer $5,000, than give her $500.
    If you're right, why not call her lawyer, discuss it with the lawyer, and offer to pay $300.
    That could avoid a waste of your time and money bu going to court.

3. pickledpear1

pickledpear1 Law Topic Starter New Member

I didn't think about actually calling her lawyer directly. My lawyer drafted a response to her letter so I will wait and see if her lawyer notices the fact that their arguments are useless -and I offered to pay the $300 she thinks I owe. Hopefully they will see its a waste of time.

4. guestpost

guestpost New Member

How much does a lawyer cost to file a show cause for parenting time. court is 15 minutes.