Pregnant minor, who pays medical bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

avagirl

My 15 year old daughter is pregnant and lives at home. Her 17 year old boyfriend and the father of her child lives at home also. Our medical insurance does not cover her for maturnity. We applied and recieved state insurance for her. Before the state insurance became effective she accrued medical bills. Is the baby's father responsible for these bills? We live in Tennessee.is

He's not at the moment, no - because he's not legally Dad. At a later point, the court may order him to pay half of the bills, but at the moment it's her responsibility.

Won't the state cover the excess retroactively?

My 15 year old daughter is pregnant and lives at home. Her 17 year old boyfriend and the father of her child lives at home also. Our medical insurance does not cover her for maturnity. We applied and recieved state insurance for her. Before the state insurance became effective she accrued medical bills. Is the baby's father responsible for these bills? We live in Tennessee.is

At this point you are responsible for her medical bills because she is your dependent. Dad is not legally dad until a court say so. Until he files for paternity/custody/visitation/child support, the child only has a mother.

Pregnant Mommy might actually be held responsible once she turns 18 (if the bills remain unpaid). Just fyi :)

Pregnant Mommy might actually be held responsible once she turns 18 (if the bills remain unpaid). Just fyi :)

Dast ist true.:D However, the maybe daddy certainly isn't going to be legally held liable for HER medical bills.:no: It's not his uterus

Last edited:
Dast ist true.:D However, they maybe daddy certainly isn't going to be legally held liable for HER medical bills.:no: It's not his uterus

Now that made me giggle, Tigi...you know better than to make me giggle like that ;)

Unfortunately for Maybe Daddy, he can be ordered to pay half of the bills associated with the pregnancy/birth once he's actually established as Dad - which puts him sort of immediately in arrears of a sort, y'know?

Unless, of course, he wants to help out now ;)

I would advise any accused daddy's not to pay until there's been a DNA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is still a minor and regardless of the pregnancy, her parents are responsible, just like if she accrued any other medical bills. In most cases a court is not going to force the dad, especially if he is a minor, to pay up.

Has children's services been made aware of your daughter's condition? This could throw monkey wrench into everything. The soon to be Father could be dealing with sex offense charges and any adult aware of the sexual relationship between the two could be in legal trouble as well. The medical bills are but a small portion of the issues that are coming

Has children's services been made aware of your daughter's condition? This could throw monkey wrench into everything. The soon to be Father could be dealing with sex offense charges and any adult aware of the sexual relationship between the two could be in legal trouble as well. The medical bills are but a small portion of the issues that are coming

Oh, come on, there is only a two year age difference. :rolleyes:

Some people slay me, as they are more concerned about money, than perverts and deviates ravishing children!!!

What a world in which we try to live!!!

Exactly! My concern would not be medical bills it would how and why this happened and I would be addressing the possible rape or molestation charges that might be forthcoming. I would be concerned about Mom's future with education etc. The last thing I would even give thought of is who pays the medical bills! Both sets of parents to the future parents have bigger worries than medical bills!

Sex between a 15 yr old and 17 yr old is legal in almost all states. Lets not jump to conclusions here.

Please explain how sex with a child "under" the age of consent is legal!?

It's not...but I think Duranie is saying that it's rarely prosecuted ;) (which isn't the same thing - as we know!)

(Not that I'm trying to speak for Duranie or anything)

Depending on how DA wants to treat case the 17 year old could be charged as adult. Furthermore rape laws "might" protect the 17 year old from that charge there are other charges that might apply that would bring on sex offender registration. Lewd acts with aminor, molestation are two that come to mind. Once more the big worries here should not be medical bills it should be the legal, moral, emotional, educational, financial etc issues that both minors face

Here is TN statutory rape law. It appears the 17 year can possibly be charged. As I stated other charges could also be sought

Tennessee

§ 39-13-506
Statutory rape to sexually penetrate a person at least age 13 but less than age 18 if the actor is at least four years older than the victim. Any actor under age 18 must be tried as a juvenile and cannot be transferred to adult court. Two to six years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back